Thread: Green Cast with Formatt 0.6 ND / Best 4x4 ND Filters for Gemini Sensor

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Green Cast with Formatt 0.6 ND / Best 4x4 ND Filters for Gemini Sensor 
    I have only just received my Red Gemini so been doing some boring test shots. I have had these Formatt 0.6ND and Grad NDs lying around for about a year and haven't used them before because my cameras have usually had built in ND or I have just used screw in ND's by Hoya. As soon as I put this ND into the Matte Box I noticed a massive green shift which was really surprising for such a light ND. I have never noticed any shift when using Hoya screw in ND's before which are a fraction of the price. I have tried to match the ND image with the clean image through tint adjustments but I can never get it to completely match and the image without the filter looks much much better. Photos are attached.

My question is can anyone recommend a set of 4x4 ND filters that work well with the Gemini sensor and don't leave a cast? I will obviously not be using these formatt ones again.

Many thanks and happy xmas.

Tom
    Attached Images

Tom,

Here's my correction of the Formatt Nd image

Have you tried maybe using different "In-Camera" "Temp" and "Tint" to see if changing just one or a combination of the two gets you more accurate images? Or have you tried maybe a different "in-camera" "Preset" White balance before you give up on the Formatt NDs?
    Last edited by rand thompson; 12-23-2018 at 12:26 PM.

I did an auto white balance on both with and without which got them closer but still not right. You have done a good job with it but Its consistent with what I have found, that theres no way of getting it back without introducing a lot of magenta to the image. For just 2 stops of ND its not something I'm prepared to put up with really.

I have heard the LEE IRND's are very neutral and have been tested on Helium. My matte box (Vocas MB-255) can only take 4x4 filters so I will need to get the 2mm photo based ones. I'm sure the actual filtration is not that different as long as they are not too thin for my matte box.

Best

Tom
    Last edited by Tom J. Kelly; 12-23-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Tom,

Are these Formatt Firecrest or some other generic version Formatt ND filter? Phil Holland did an excellent write-up of the Firecrest a while back in the thread below.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...matt+firecrest

They are not Firecrest. They have HD Formatt written on them. Firecrest are ones im looking at as well. I wonder if anyone has posted how they are with the Gemini sensor yet.
    Last edited by Tom J. Kelly; 12-23-2018 at 05:24 PM.

I haven't seen any tests with the Formatt Firecrest NDs and the Gemini Sensor.

I use Nisi filters on my Gemini. I like them a lot, and the prize is really good.

Interestingly my soft Grad which is the same make (HD ND Formatt) and the same strength (0.6) does not seem to suffer from this green tint. See photos.
    Attached Images

Tom,

Did you buy your Formatt Nds from an authorized dealer of Formatt filters, I once purchased some Tiffen Nds I thought were the genuine thing but found out later were "knock-offs" from Ebay. Maybe you just got part of a bad batch.
    Last edited by rand thompson; 12-24-2018 at 02:40 PM.

I bought them both second hand from eBay a year ago so I guess I got both lucky and unlucky with them. I'm gonna buy some new Formatt Firecrest ones I think. They have recently released the Firecrest Ultras but can't find anywhere that says the difference between those and the old cinema firecrests.