Thread: Made an offer on Ebay, and the seller accepted.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Made an offer on Ebay, and the seller accepted. 
    | LONG ISLAND | NEW YORK | MIAMI | EUROPE |
    Made an offer on Ebay, and the seller accepted. How do I check if the camera is Legit, little worried sending that kind of $$. Just want to make sure its not a scam

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Digital...5/264096327282
    NEW YORK | MIAMI | LONG ISLAND | EUROPE |

You might use Paypal, Check vin/camera number with Red. But also looks like seller has lots of sales and reviews which is a very good thing.

1. Sell has many positive reviews which is good. 2. Ebay guarantees sales, so if there is a problem, they will refund your money.

Thank you for your help, I was looking at the ebay policy and it states that they cover up only till 10k

wpn-m00994

Just watch out that sometimes the "real" seller gets hacked...

Few red flags: he just sells Collectibles Militaria and No real pictures.

I have seen a few times things like this happen... though could be legit.. just be careful, especially if paypal doesn't cover this much.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabricio Morato View Post
    Just watch out that sometimes the "real" seller gets hacked...

Few red flags: he just sells Collectibles Militaria and No real pictures.

I have seen a few times things like this happen... though could be legit.. just be careful, especially if paypal doesn't cover this much.
    I second this.

It seems a bit fishy to me. This seller isn't selling any camera equipment... Except the item that you purchased.

Dealing with eBay/PayPal is not as easy as it sounds.

Get the Camera serial number and get it validated with Red for ownership verification ( if possible, purchase receipt too).

Meanwhile give a call to eBay and explain the situation and request them to offer some help in making sure the Seller account is not hacked.

If everything turns positive, use a Credit card to make the purchase (this is the most important thing to do). This ensures that you can get your money back in a worst case scenario (if in case PayPal doesn't help you much.... This is very much possible).

If I am in your shoes... I will let this offer go... Unless if the price difference is more than 3k. It doesn't make sense putting time/effort and bare the mental stress if the savings you got is less.

One last thing... If this is a theft item.
    If you get caught, you will end up loosing money as well as the camera both (the camera would be recovered... And neither PayPal nor Credit Card company gives your money back).
    Last edited by Uday Bhaskar Karra; 12-23-2018 at 12:00 AM.

One last thing... If this is a theft item.
    If you get caught, you will end up loosing money as well as the camera both (the camera would be recovered... And neither PayPal nor Credit Card company gives your money back).
    This is not completely true. A couple of years ago I bought a pretty expensive cine lens from Ebay. Turned out to be stolen from a rental house in Belgium, and after sending all the police paperwork the owner provided, I was able to get my money back through Paypal and send the lens back to the legitimate owner. Paypal may need patience, but they've never let me down until now (knock on wood), and I had some extreme cases (received empty boxes, stolen goods, damaged lenses, etc).

Tha being said this is a weird listing for this particular seller, as others said his account could be hacked (although he seems pretty active the past month), or this could be a stolen camera (from my experience stolen goods are usually sold by this type of massive sellers with no previous sales of other cine equipment). I'd make sure to crosscheck the serial number, and contact Ebay before you go ahead. Personally I wouldn't do it, too much money to send to an obscure seller, unless there is a way to be 100% sure (see it in person).
    Last edited by Jason Mavrokefalos; 12-23-2018 at 11:35 PM.

the photo in this auction is a standard stock photo anyone can find by typing RED CAMERA into google.

get him to send you a real photo of the equipment with a hand written note next to it, something that you tell him to write on there, your name or something. even if its just a mobile phone snap.

Otherwise I would not go ahead with this transaction.
    Dr. Dominik Münch D.O.C.A
    Filmmaker & Cinematographer
    Epic-W "Lucy"
    http://www.blacksun-productions.com
    http://www.instagram.com/drdominikmuench

Says camera is in Los Angeles. I know several Polish Cinematographers that are visiting here now and may assist you after you check serial number with Red. One of them is here with his Red shooting a music vid. If you wish, I will put one of them in touch with you. Wise thing might for the seller to drop off camera with one of these guys to Red for operational check, then arange shipping directly to you from Red and have one of these guys monitor the progress of the transaction for quality assurance. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.