Thread: Is the Red One MX worth anything?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Is the Red One MX worth anything? 
    I have a Red MX I don't use is it even worth trying to sell? Are these classics worth anything at all?

Of course. I think around $3k for a full package. Almost everything on youtube is shot on inferior cameras, even videos that get millions of views. There are tons of film students who would love to shoot with a 4.5K Red camera.

some of my best work was shot on that camera.

Since nothing has changed in the way the sun, light and physics work since the RED One was introduced (and subsequently used on high end work), you can produce the same quality files today as you could back then. In fact, they'd be better today, since we've got new software and development in color science.

What has happened too though, is that while the RED One was unique back then, there are now cameras that offer internal 4k raw in 60 fps with similar DR where your source of power is the size of a small matchbox, stored internally, and not a brick hanging off the camera. And they weigh like 750g and cost $1300.

I think you can still sell a RED One today to someone who sympathises and want to record to r3d and own a bit of history. But I know guys who picked them up for $2500-3000 for really complete kits like 2 years ago. So there's that.

Back then there was nothing that could offer the resolution and codec for that price.

It is not the mature-age orphan child like the SI2K is these days. Both are a bit of a struggle and grunt to carry around. They have a few more years of life left in them yet to please somebody. At what price is another matter.

I still dream of owning this camera. To be completely honest, It's the only RED I'll ever be able to own within my means.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Lundblad View Post
    I still dream of owning this camera. To be completely honest, It's the only RED I'll ever be able to own within my means.
    Scarlet-X is already down to $4K ish

Give it another couple of years and you will be finding them going for even less, probably a Scarlet brain for two grand is not too far away
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding