Thread: Fincher cropping style

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Fincher cropping style 
    Hi
    I know that Fincher use guidelines to frame lower area and hace more flexibilty in post. I found that picture from behind of scenes of Girl with Dragon Tatoo.
    https://ibb.co/7jHVbDS
    I'm very curious why they use 4k and crop it (probably to 3k or something like that) and why the didn't use 4.5k and crop to 4k (to get extra space)?
    And why there is no "4k" but ther is "4kos"? what this is mean?

Senior Member Marcus Friedlander's Avatar
    I'm not sure why they used 4k instead of 4.5k, but I think 4k OS means 4k Open sensor, otherwise known as Open Gate or Full Apeture.
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander

RED EPIC DRAGON #03179 "Squillium the Dragon"

"Perfection is the goal, excellence is the standard."

It was a 4.5K negative, with 3.6K extraction. And the did have eventually a Epic Mysterium-X 5K at some point through the production.

Good info here:
    https://library.creativecow.net/arti...-Tattoo&page=1

Fincher these days is shooting I think 8K 2:1 for a 6.5K extraction with 2.2:1 aspect ratio for Mindhunters, 4K finish or maybe 6K. Don't remember that bit. I know some of House of Cards was mastered at 6K.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I usually shoot 8k with a 7k extraction, master in 4k. Gives me just enough wiggle room for reframing etc. I have a tendancy to not shoot my wides wide enough, so it's a good fall back for me! LOL!
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

You can make a custom chart like this and tailor it for any aspect ratio you want to ultimately crop to:

marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

I saw the articles, but how to achive 4352x2176 on Red One MX in 2:1?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    It was a 4.5K negative, with 3.6K extraction. And the did have eventually a Epic Mysterium-X 5K at some point through the production.

Good info here:
    https://library.creativecow.net/arti...-Tattoo&page=1

Fincher these days is shooting I think 8K 2:1 for a 6.5K extraction with 2.2:1 aspect ratio for Mindhunters, 4K finish or maybe 6K. Don't remember that bit. I know some of House of Cards was mastered at 6K.
    What exactly is the point of a 6K finish when there is no such delivery spec anywhere in the world (at least as far as I know)? And particularly when there are VFX involved?

I still did't find how to get that 4KOS with 4352x2176 resolution. Open gate in Red One is something different. Maype they have some custom software? Anyone know anything about it?

Quote Originally Posted by M Most View Post
    What exactly is the point of a 6K finish when there is no such delivery spec anywhere in the world (at least as far as I know)? And particularly when there are VFX involved?
    Could they just mean it was finished at 6K for the future and downrezzed to 4K or 2K for distribution?
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

And why they use 3600x1500 resolution on final frame? It's seams to odd resolution.