Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC2 Unified Dragon-X

Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    I'm back online, which means I can update all of the PHFX | tools and graphics with the Dragon-X 5K S35.

For those who like the one sheet:

Though it just occured to me RED's newly designed website now sort of displays things this way :)
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Buchanan View Post
    I see your vision coming to life for Sensors = Film Stock... Would be nice to be user-swappable on the next line.
    +1. Give those RED engineers a break. Let us do the swaps/upgrades, let them work on building new cameras and accessories. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Skinner View Post
    And let’s not forget the launch material on the Scarlet-W also said it was a DSMC-2 body, but it now turns out that it is not the right kind of DSMC-2 body.

When you purchased your Scarlet-W, were you under the impression it had all the capabilities of the Weapon cameras? Did you not notice your maximum frame rates at 5K and higher compression ratio all this time?

If you love your Scarlet-W, keep it. If you want more performance, upgrade it. It is upgradable, just like Red said.
    Red Dragon-x "Big-Skippy"

www.imaginationx.com

I've got hit up on Facebook about the Dragon-X 5K and upgrading.

My two takes on it.

If you are a Raven owner and looking for a way to move up to a more powerful camera, sounds like in January you'll have one week to pull that off. In many ways to me, that is a no brainer.

Scarlet-W owners I understand are in a tighter predicament. But there's three biggies to look at.

- Higher frame rates; 96fps versus 50fps at full resolution
    - Better Data Rates; For a person like me that's pretty important as I tend to shoot at the lowest possible compression ratio most of the time. I'm not everybody though.
    - In camera IPP2 Support and Monitoring. This is actually a bigger deal as it does simplify workflow a whole bunch and gives you access to things like IPP2 HDR monitoring and all that.

The feature that really stands out there is the max FPS at full resolution. I know I couldn't live comfortably without 60fps at a minimum. Everybody will be different here, but slow motion is a common bread and butter camera feature in the commercial world for sure. And we're talking a fair bit more. If it was "just" 60fps or something, then it's way harder. But you have up to 96fps which for 24p shooters is 4x slower rather than 2x you get now.

That's the big one for me.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

What’s frustrating is that I tried to convince a large social network to buy Red for their original content, and they looked at the price and passed. So I got the Scarlet-W with my own money, and tried to show it’s value to the company. It was a huge stretch for me. The company never cared that I had made the investment. They had some first gen c300s and they could not see the difference. At the time I thought, well I am in over my head here, but Jared commited to the community that the Scarlet-W had the kind of body that could be upgraded. I think I might have even got the guy’s company a blue check mark, I was so excited about the investment. Well, he still has the blue check mark, but I need to pay $5k to essentially keep my camera upgradeable. Sure, a I get a small frame rate improvement for the $5k. But I don’t have a $5k budget for a small frame rate improvement. This has been a very frustrating investment.

If they can't see the difference between a C300 and a Scarlet-W, you are likely better off not having them as a client. You have a powerful camera as is. If you don't have a need to upgrade it, just shoot what you have. Its a great camera.
    Red Dragon-x "Big-Skippy"

www.imaginationx.com

5120 X 0.7 = 3584

How come RED ditched the 6k option to get a real 4k master ? The 5k sensor makes no sense.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    5120 X 0.7 = 3584

How come RED ditched the 6k option to get a real 4k master ? The 5k sensor makes no sense.

Pat
    Try .8, which is closer to how things actually are if that's the general perspective.

I mean this has been gone over years ago, like Mysterium-X years ago. But DSMC2 has improved so many things along the way as did Dragon's tech.

I wouldn't assume anything is "ditched" either. This is the 5K option at that tier.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I think it would be better if DSMC2 lineup looked like this:
    DSMC2 Monstro 8K, DSMC2 Helium 8K, DSMC2 Gemini 6K and DSMC2 Dragon-X 5K

I think Gemini in 6K will produce the most beautiful 4K master :)
    I still can't decide if upgrade my Scarlet-W to Dragon-X or Gemini. I absolutely love that low light capabilities of Gemini sensor. Amazing for night cities, time lapses of stars etc. But Dragon-X upgrade is cheaper :) I think I'll wait a little longer a save for Gemini. For me it is the best sensor from RED right now :)
    KAREL ŠIMŮNEK fan of RED :)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I wouldn't assume anything is "ditched" either. This is the 5K option at that tier.
    The 6k Dragon option isn't available as for now and there isn't any hint neither for that upgrade path.

A DSMC3 upgrade is in the air, other competitors will bring new disruptive cameras on the market within 1 year and pressure will increase on RED, so how do we know if we have to hold our breath for the future?

As for now I'm shooting my Weapon 6k Dragon but I can't plan my investment in RED for the next 2 years.

Pat