Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC2 Unified Dragon-X

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by William Ciani View Post
    No offense to raven owners but If the raven gets an upgrade path....
    Fascinating opinion. I actually don't see how an $8500-ish upgrade "window" actually hurts any line of these cameras as it doesn't impeed on any price point. RED also didn't have a path for RED One owners to get into DSMC2 and was clearly stated, but they offered a way to continue that journey.

Do upgrades in general not work for you?
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

This release makes the old now, no not available, CF woven dsmc2 6k Dragon somewhat more special.

And as I see it brings back some value to dsmc1 dragons.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Any chance there will be the original 6k version coming? Also with dragon is there ability in the future to do dual native iso with it as an iteration?
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Alexa Mini/Amira, RED Dragon, Monstro, Canon C500 Mark ii, C300ii, Sony FX9, FS7, UMP G2, Pocket 6k/4k, Sony A7s/r ii, Cooke Panchro Classics, Atlas Anamorphics, Zeiss Cp3, Angenieux EZ1/2, Celere HS set, Leica R Duclos set, DSO Trump series, Sigma Cine Primes, Contax Zeiss Superspeeds, GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200, tokina 11-16 PL, Laowa 24mm Probe, Movi Pro, Grip Vans, Skypanels, HMI's, Hive, Aputure, Litepanels, Litemats

There is an old phrase "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" - For those that don't know what that means, I'll explain. You can tell how old a horse is by looking at the wearing of the teeth. So when someone gives you a horse, you don't start complaining about how old it may be or how it could be better. You say thank you.

Honestly, what other camera manufacturer is offering upgrades of their products? If it doesn't make financial sense to you, you have a choice to keep what you have and enjoy shooting with it. If you feel you can get more money by selling your camera outright, by all means, do that if you want. What Red did today was give you an option you didn't have before. They gave you a choice. Its ok to not like it. Its ok to not do it. But don't look the gift horse in the mouth.

I love shooting Red. I love how innovative and forward thinking Red is. I love that they try like crazy to not leave people behind giving them at least 1 option they didn't have before or with any other camera company.

Love what you do. Love what you shoot. Shoot what you love.
    Red Dragon-x "Big-Skippy"

www.imaginationx.com

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Fascinating opinion. I actually don't see how an $8500-ish upgrade "window" actually hurts any line of these cameras as it doesn't impeed on any price point. RED also didn't have a path for RED One owners to get into DSMC2 and was clearly stated, but they offered a way to continue that journey.

Do upgrades in general not work for you?
    No it’s none of that at all. In my personal pov the last few product cycles have seemed to be hyped on one set of pretenses then after the dust has settled (and checks have cleared) things change.... once or twice in a while wouldn’t bother me. Now though, to me it’s starting to feel more about bottom line and corporate marketing strategies and less like the”fuck formal” company I bought into years ago. Maybe it’s just me?

You have to be brain dead to not upgrade from SW to X. If you don't, all SW owners will soon be viewed by competitent Producers as Raven owners. $5k is nothing if you work full time in this industry. If you don't have plans of being able to eventually afford 8k you shouldn't be in this industry.
    Last edited by Aaron Almquist; 11-29-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Maybe it’s just me?
    Well I don't know how long you've been tuned into RED as a company, I see the forum date of 2014, but that's just here. But a few things from my POV.

Literally one of the quotes Jim and Jarred have echoed over the years is "everything in life changes". This mainly originates and applies to specs and delivery dates in the past. i.e. Scarlet 2/3" for instance.

To that what I see is a company adapting to it's user base often. Especially now with different tiers of cameras. I'm a mod here and abroad and I have seen the cries from Raven owners who have had professional success and want to move up to more powerful cameras. And many thought Raven was a dead end, whereas every other RED owner gets the side benefits of having an upgrade path which for many has saved tens of thousands of dollars over the years.

RED hasn't switched too many things around, there's been a couple moderately frustrating moments often adapting to current market trends, internal manufacturing or workflow enhancements, or just stuff that's tied to competitive progression.

Most of the efforts in my mind towards upgrade offers tend to benefit RED owners. Sometimes they are tricky decisions, especially with multiple camera options. But you have access to those decisions where in many other ecosystems there is simply no decision other than to buy new, sell old.

To each their own. And Jarred has stated it's going to be a small window for the Raven upgrades, real small. This is RED and likely Jarred helping out the eager few who want to step up a level.

I view this as a good thing. And again, this isn't a free upgrade or hurting current camera prices. It's providing a short time for action to those who previously had no action to take.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Well I don't know how long you've been tuned into RED as a company, I see the forum date of 2014, but that's just here. But a few things from my POV.
    I can definietly see your points. I’m sure we could debate the topic at length. I’m all for change. If things are shifting one way, own it. Don’t say your different than the other guys if your moving toward being just like them. That’s my point of view and I’m sticking to it.

I so wished that the new Dragon sensor would have been 4:3 like the Gemini to accommodate Anamorphic lenses. I would have upgraded my S-W right away.

I am a bit confused about this S-W to Dragon-X upgrade though. The upgrade says: "RED offers a Board Upgrade from the SCARLET-W RED DRAGON 5K (and SCARLET-W RED DRAGON 5K Monochrome) to the DSMC2 DRAGON-X camera. The upgrade replaces boards in the original BRAIN. During the upgrade, the exterior panels and RED coin will also be updated to match the DSMC2 design."

So it is basically upgrading the board and the external stickers on my current camera. I am not getting a new camera and my sensor remains the same.

On the other hand, there is no "upgrade" from S-W to Gemini. It is a trade-in. Which means, I send in my S-W and get a brand new Gemini.

Why is that? If S-W can be "upgraded" to Dragon-X, why can't there be a upgrade to Gemini instead of "trade-in"? I mean, my camera remains the same, the board and Gemini sensor is added? Is it because Gemini sensor size is different? If the sensor size difference is hurting us, how can we call Dragon-x "unified DSMC2"?

I find it strange that while Monstro, Helium and Gemini have the same look (written DSMC2) on the front panel of the camera, Dragon-X doesn't have the sticker. The Red coin shows DSMC2, however.
    Independent filmmaker. Owner of a production/ post production studio, including creation of DCPs

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    No offense to raven owners but If the raven gets an upgrade path to this after every single red sales rep I spoke with used the “there will never be any upgrade path with that model” as a selling point to justify the (at the time) massive price difference to the other cameras, I think I will be done with this company and it’s bs marketing ploys.
    This isn't marketing. You don't market things that don't make you money. And to be clear, there is no " official " upgrade path. It's a one week thing that is open to a very limited number of people. I am literally going against my own rule because I have met a few Raven owners over the last year that purchased the camera with absolutely no upgrade expectations but I have watched many of them shoot incredible things.. better things than they should be shooting just starting out, and I watch some of them get to that point when they run up against the wall being limited by their tool..mostly by the lens mount and format size.

Raven was supposed to be a drone camera and/or the lightest RED for run and gun, and it became much more to many people. So they actually legitimately needed more camera but also being in a financial situation, as most Raven owners are, that they could never afford the massive jump for some people to get into a Gemini or Helium or Monstro. And they can't go backward with anything else in that price point, even from another company, so they get stuck in this spot, even if it is more mental than reality, and that frustrates the shit out of me.

So yeah.. this one week window I am offering to Raven is 100% personal for me. Ask Brent, I had to fight for it. Its not a business ploy to sell cameras. It's me being frustrated that we have a group of customers that are quite purely, stuck.

And I am shocked how good some of the stuff is that people are shooting with Raven as their first camera. I know it sounds lame but it makes me feel like a proud father and sometimes parents do stupid things to reward their kids that probably they shouldn't do and sometimes that pisses off every other parent around them.

Being a creative is hard and most people that bought a Raven bought it not because they want to make a business out of it like a lot of people here, but they bought it because they have have a dying need to create something. Raven owners , for the most part, are just enterting this very hard business. Well it's not just a hard business.. it's frankly a totally fucked-up-shit-show of a business. With a lot of "no's" that are going to come up in front of them and I feel like if I can give something a little back to them then I feel I need to. I honestly don't mean to piss you or anyone else off when I do stupid shit like this... I promise you it comes from a good place.