Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC2 Unified Dragon-X

Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Samir Patel View Post
    We kept asking for Dragon 6K in DSMC2 unified body... just saying. But whatever. Use what you got I suppose.
    That would of been much more of an incentive to upgrade, what resolution was the VV Dragon? can you still buy those? or now is it only mostro with a completely different sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by jordan levy View Post
    That would of been much more of an incentive to upgrade, what resolution was the VV Dragon? can you still buy those? or now is it only mostro with a completely different sensor?
    VV Dragon was 8K and 41mm across (same size and res as Monstro)
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

I don't think you can get 8k dragons any more, as the yields of the wafers were supposedly really bad (I seem to recall Jarred saying sometimes entire batches had 0 sensors pass QC).

As for 6k dragon in a unified body; the entire unified rebrand/re-release was all about making all of the cameras internals the same to benefit economies of scale, unify parts manufacturing, and make decisions simpler for less technical consumers... I doubt RED would want to re-fire up the 6k fab oven when the 5k one is probably churning out chips for substantially cheaper these days (and that's presuming they don't already have a stockpile of chips that were originally intended for Scarlet-Ws).

Also, it'd be a bit of a awkward and confusing with respect to Gemini, which is only 5k (Gemini costs more than Dragon for the same frame rates/resolution because it's a taller sensor and better at low-light). It'd chip-away at a lot of product-line simplicity DSMC2 Unified did if there was a cheaper camera, that actually had a higher resolution (even if the benefits of Gemini were made abundantly clear).

Senior Member Marcus Friedlander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    I don't think you can get 8k dragons any more, as the yields of the wafers were supposedly really bad (I seem to recall Jarred saying sometimes entire batches had 0 sensors pass QC).

As for 6k dragon in a unified body; the entire unified rebrand/re-release was all about making all of the cameras internals the same to benefit economies of scale, unify parts manufacturing, and make decisions simpler for less technical consumers... I doubt RED would want to re-fire up the 6k fab oven when the 5k one is probably churning out chips for substantially cheaper these days (and that's presuming they don't already have a stockpile of chips that were originally intended for Scarlet-Ws).

Also, it'd be a bit of a awkward and confusing with respect to Gemini, which is only 5k (Gemini costs more than Dragon for the same frame rates/resolution because it's a taller sensor and better at low-light). It'd chip-away at a lot of product-line simplicity DSMC2 Unified did if there was a cheaper camera, that actually had a higher resolution (even if the benefits of Gemini were made abundantly clear).
    That all makes totally logical sense.

But, coming from an enduser, it still seems weird that RED is not really selling a 6k camera at the moment. 6k>4k downscale was such an integral part of their marketing push for the original dragon sensor that it seems weird that they offer two 5k cameras and two 8k cameras, but nothing at the magical 6k number.

Is what it is I guess?

Just another reason for me to keep shooting on my beloved Epic Dragon! :)
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander

RED EPIC DRAGON #03179 "Squillium the Dragon"

"Perfection is the goal, excellence is the standard."

I think that now RED is at least thinking about 6K DSMC2 unified :)
    KAREL ŠIMŮNEK fan of RED :)

My guess when DSMC3 is released in 2020, 6K will be the new low end sensor.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    My guess when DSMC3 is released in 2020, 6K will be the new low end sensor.
    Are you sure there won't be any new sensor before that? ;)
    Independent filmmaker. Owner of a production/ post production studio, including creation of DCPs

Quote Originally Posted by Subrata Sen View Post
    Are you sure there won't be any new sensor before that? ;)
    You never know. But it seems like RED is going to keep things simple for now.
    Last edited by Bob Gundu; 12-06-2018 at 10:09 PM.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

After Shooting with my Dragon-x DSMC2 i can say (im a helium 8k owner as well) i am IN LOVE with this sensor and camera! Honestly I have retired the Helium 8k for now. Loveliness all around! Thank you @jarredLand and the team at Red for taking things back to Simple.
    Attached Images

Bret,

Loved the image and its rich blue color!