Thread: Flashing Pixels!!

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Flashing Pixels!! 
    Hi,

I've had a big problem with my GEMINI for many weeks now and RED does not really care about that and puts me off waiting for future firmware updates, which may come at some point, maybe never. I do not know what to do anymore. I have specially bought a low-light camera and can not use this in good conscience not in the low-light area. What a nonsense RED !!!!
    What do I buy this camera for ??? !!!

The problem manifests itself in darker areas of the image by pixels, which flash in ever new places only for a frame. Estimated 5-10 per frame. This can NOT be compensated with a Calibration Map. The pixels are never permanently in the same place.

Of course you will not see these pixels as well on normally exposed images, but as soon as there are dark areas, you will notice that. I noticed it immediately after the purchase in the first low-light test. Even on the camera display !!!!
    Here is demo material to view: http://transfer.captainmedia.de/Kb1P9HN

Am I too much too? Can not I expect a normal trouble-free picture for just under 30000 ????
    What a scrap !!!!

I reported the problem to my dealer. He also examined his demo Geminis. And behold - they have that too! Coincidence?? Three cameras with the same problem? Who else has this problem?

What should I say to my customers ??
    Oh, a few flashing pixels is not that bad! To fix this in hindsight is really a detention of many weeks!

What now???

I downloaded the RAW, did a playback, but I'm not seeing what you're seeing? I see some small flashes in the sky, which to me seem more like stars or satellites.

I even exported to ProRes 4444 in 4K to make sure my computer wasn't doing some funky debayer and I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary either. Scrubbing through it slowly even makes it more definite that these are points of light in the sky, not flashing pixels. Even tried upping the ISO to 6400, but the noise is more distracting at this point. If anything, I feel like that a noise reduction pass in something like Neat Video would eradicate that problem completely.

It's been said multiple times on this forum that the Gemini is very good for low-light, but not *extreme* low light. And even then, it seems like most people still use a spot of noise reduction. Using a light meter, what readings were you getting? For that type of shooting, perhaps you would have been better off buying an A7S II or GH5s. I'm not sure this is a camera issue at all.
    Red EPIC-W #003307 "Annabelle"

This is what I'm seeing - the forum's resizing it so it's a bit hard to see. But doesn't look like flashing pixels to me. Otherwise they would be really bright white and obvious to see.

I'm seeing it, in the sky near the top of the frame. It's definitely not noise, and too sharp to be a celestial body (and too fleeting, a single frame). There are some larger spots that come and go, and those must be some light sources that are flashing. The problem pixels do really seem to be just a single pixel.

Here's a clip cropped to the area in the sky that I'm looking at. The issue is quite obvious, even when playing at full speed. https://cl.ly/dde75e7255d6

And I don't have Neat Video, but for what it's worth, the noise reduction in FCP actually cleans up the noise and preserves those flashing pixels. https://cl.ly/2c31dd375934

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    That certainly looks like a faulty sensor to me.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Greene View Post
    I'm seeing it, in the sky near the top of the frame. It's definitely not noise, and too sharp to be a celestial body (and too fleeting, a single frame). There are some larger spots that come and go, and those must be some light sources that are flashing. The problem pixels do really seem to be just a single pixel.

Here's a clip cropped to the area in the sky that I'm looking at. The issue is quite obvious, even when playing at full speed. https://cl.ly/dde75e7255d6

And I don't have Neat Video, but for what it's worth, the noise reduction in FCP actually cleans up the noise and preserves those flashing pixels. https://cl.ly/2c31dd375934
    Ah okay I see it now. Yikes.

Daniel, I'd advise to open a support ticket with RED.

Any update on this? I'm curious to know if there has been any progress.

cant you just return the camera if you just bought it?

That looks a lot like cosmic radiation hits. They'll appear on all highly sensitive cameras, but are usually missed because noise reduction on most stills systems hides it. You can observe them on just about any CMOS or CCD sensor though.

I documented seeing these on the original Monochrome, which was the first camera I'd seen sensitive enough to show them easily, but at the same time not using any in camera NR to hide them. If you go looking for them you'll find them on any red camera, but also on any good DSLR if you run long exposures with NR.. The tricky part is that the ionizing radiation that causes it is very unpredictable and variable. When I first noticed it I was getting multiple hits per second, but when I went to repeat it I was waiting minutes in between.

The most obvious ones are the rarest, where the energetic particle hits across the plane of the sensor, and you get a streak or bounce rather than just a single pixel.

http://kippertie.com/red/monoflashes/ <- very old link...
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products

Hey Daniel,

I'm experiencing the exact same thing! Colored flashing pixels and way too much ugly digital noise.
    I'm also in contact with RED, but it takes forever. They did managed to make a specific version of CINE-X for me which resolved the flashing pixels. But that's not a solution as I don't use CINE-X to edit..

As for the noise, first they say it doesn't look normal and now they say I exposed my shots wrong. But a lens cap shot at ISO 800 shouldn't look like pixel paradise.

Next week I'll be able to do some side by side tests with a Gemini that does work like it should. Hopefully I can show RED that they need to take my unit back.