Thread: Lens Crossroad-Where to go??

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Lens Crossroad-Where to go?? 
    I started out shooting about 4 years ago on gh4s with older nikon lenses, moved up to a set of minoltas then onto Epic-W with Leica-R's. Not really expensive leicas more mid range. Now I am shooting with EW/Gem combo and want to get more of a matched look. I love my leicas for the controlled flare I can get as I do alot of glidecam and shoot alot of tight stuff with my 90mm and 60 macro. However these lenses are starting to finally show their age. I went down the cooke road in my head, but the actual size and cost of them is a bit too much for me, Xenons looked at to but the CA seemed too much. Then I started thinking a sweet mint set of leicas, but the buyer in me wants something new and different. So I am looking at the Celere Uncoated, I would only get the 25,36,85 or whatever is their closes combo (I think those are the focal ranges).

Question is, I can only find one real demo of these online, doesn't say what camera was used ect.

Main things I am worried about is blown out backgrounds like I do get with my older leicas, very hazy sometimes, also I didn't notice an CA in the demo. I like my milvus lenses too but it has a massive amount of CA.

I shoot weddings and like to use a soft looking lens

Any comments? Please do not comment or give advice if it is gonna be "Overkill for weddings" as there is clearly a market in my area for this level of weddings hacing shot about 300 in 3 years on reds, just had to get that out of the way. Thanks

steve

From your post I would recommend the Xeens. Will give you the softer look wide open and are solid enough mechanically to keep the production going smooth. At very reasonable price.
    For drive by wire light weight setups older Canons L series or, I believe , Rokinon just started making lenses with AF electronics integrated...
    Or you can just get sharp lenses and take down the sharpness with filters or LUTs in post. So many choices...
    IMO the operator's/artist's familiarity with their lenses capabilities is a lot more important than the lenses themselves these days....
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

You should try a set of Zeiss superspeed or standard speed. I just shot a music vid on superspeed mk2 and might be my favorite set ever.

I have the normal Celere coated set and they are great, but plenty of CA once you get ~T2.8-1.5 in some scenarios. Probably long wait for uncoated set.
    Robert Wynne
    AANASEA Media

www.aanasea.com

I’m leaning towards a full set from mark m also. I don’t need any electronics and actually prefer not have them. I’ll chceck out the supers, thanks for the heads up on the ca

steve

You may also want to look at an Angenieux EZ-2 15-40mm S35 Cinema Lens PL Mount.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...35_cinema.html

It's a new T2 zoom (so less dust on your sensor by not switching primes all the time). If you ever plan on going FF, get the FF element group when you purchase, you cannot add it later.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/...x-ez-2-review/

Sigma Stills lenses with Tiffen Glimmerglass, or Hollywood Blackmagic filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair Thornton View Post
    You may also want to look at an Angenieux EZ-2 15-40mm S35 Cinema Lens PL Mount.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...35_cinema.html

It's a new T2 zoom (so less dust on your sensor by not switching primes all the time). If you ever plan on going FF, get the FF element group when you purchase, you cannot add it later.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/...x-ez-2-review/
    looks like a great lens, about 90 percent of my creative work is on glide cam so I would
    Like to stick to a smaller form factor

steve

For Epic W or Helium I really like the rehoused sigma zooms. Its like shooting with primes but you don't have to swap lenses all the time. Perfect for gimbal and steady cam aswell as they are relatively small.

Picture vice I really like the Art line and price vice not much compare as you get such good speed and sharpness and two zooms cover pretty much a whole set of primes. Dont know who do the best rehousings but I used the GL optic versions a lot and really like them for what they are.

The wide one does not completely cover helium in the wide end but easy enough to tap down to 7k or such to get around that. I like to be able to use the full image circle when looking for a bit of character lenses that got full blown coverage is nice as well but then you are kind of stuck with that. Helium got enough resolution to crop a bit without worry and you can choose to get those soggy corners or crop them out.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    Canon FDs from the seventies are gorgeous lenses, and they are cheap as dirt. Just pick the right ones from ebay and maybe buy a few of each and test them so you can pick the best ones for rehousing.

The 24mm 1,4 ,55mm 1,2 and 85mm 1,2 are as close you can get to K35s and you can get them rehoused by GLoptics in china for around $3K each.

They are very romantic and would be perfect for your purpose IMO.
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV

What about the SLR magic APOs?