Thread: RED Raven and Sony CineAlta 6kit Prime set lenses

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 RED Raven and Sony CineAlta 6kit Prime set lenses 
    Hello Everyone!!!
    I have difficult choise, in two month i plan to buy set of cine Prime lenses.
    I think about Tokina Vista Primes, Sony CineAlta set, Zeiss CP3, Canon C-NE
    i watched many tests by Shane Hurlbut in inner circle and i think i need something close to Cooke lenses, also Cooke S4.
    Many says about Sony Alta is closer then other lenses but, i cant to understand can i use this lenses with PL mount on my EF mount Raven using for example fotodiox adapter?
    I searched a lot for information in Google, but never found the answer, can I use it or not?
    Usually i work with gimbal and i think Tokina is very heavy for this type of work. And other lenses is ok.
    Thank you and i wait for answers!!!

CineAlta lenses are very nice.......also nice and big and heavy.

Question is can i adapt this lenses to Raven EF mount anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Vance Colvig View Post
    CineAlta lenses are very nice.......also nice and big and heavy.
    Actually that's not entirely true. I have a Sony Connection and just bought a new (B-stock set) of the original three lenses 35, 50, 85 that are the same optical design as the current but have a lot of plastic in the housings and are actually quite light for their size. I also have the second set (20,25,135) that are the later metal housings and are quite a bit heavier - like normal metal cinema lenses.

They are really quite nice lenses. The original versions feel very good mechanically and although might not be practical for a busy rental house, as long as they are treated decently should be fine for an owner op and the light weight makes them pretty useful for gimbal and hand held work.

I do mostly underwater and travel related work with Canon EF lenses so don't use cinema lenses much, and bought them mainly for resale, but tempted to keep them for my own use and limited rentals because they are about as good as it gets in terms of bang for the buck.

Let me know if interested to rent or purchase.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

I don't think the Cine Alta lenses cover FF35, whereas all the other sets you mentioned do. While Raven is sub-S35mm, if you ever plan on getting a bigger sensored camera, it's worth considering FF35 lenses.

...But yeah, for the price, I'm surprised they're not more popular.

As for EF-to-PL adapter compability, I was under the impression that they are *NOT* compatible (too deep for adapters). So definitely try before you buy.

Raven is EOS mount, and the Sony glass is PL. There is no work around.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Senior Member Marcus Friedlander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    There are workabale adapters for some PL lenses but, not for most of them.

If the PL mount is the really short version, you can adapt to EF, but for lenses with the standard longer PL mount it's not possible.

When the Raven first came out, someone on REDuser posted some pics of a working PL zoom on a Raven, but I can't remember any of the other details.
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander

RED EPIC DRAGON #03179 "Squillium the Dragon"

"Perfection is the goal, excellence is the standard."

Senior Member Christopher S Johnson's Avatar
    Seems like your best bet would be to use some of the money for lenses on upgrading to the SW for a PL mount, and push the lens purchase further down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Evgeniy Shkolenko View Post
    Question is can i adapt this lenses to Raven EF mount anyway?
    I think you could use with the Fotodiox pl to ef mount adapter. They spec 14mm (and say that some lenses that extend past 14mm will work). The maximum is at infinity and 35mm extends 14.7mm the 50 14mm, and the 85 much less. I'm think they would work for three reasons 1) I believe they are most concerned about dSLRs with a mirror being the problem and you don't have that on raven, 2) the portion that extends is much smaller than the PL flange extensions and is tapered and 3) if the Raven EF is like my Epic-w there isn't really anything in the way until you get to the light baffle which is another 7mm farther from the deepest extension of the lens.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_adapter.html
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com