Thread: Modern look lenses recommendations for VV.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Modern look lenses recommendations for VV. 
    So I been searching for few months what lens options are available for the Monstro VV that has a different Look than my Leica-R (Master Prime look, ultra clean but not clinical). I been analyzing several options and I wanted feedback is possible:

Sigma Cine FF: This lenses look pretty nice but I been hearing so many different opposite opinions in the quality, most in the negative side.

Tokina: The new cinema line is been recommended way more than the Sigma, but the form factor in this ones is insane, just like the Cook.

Supreme Primes: while they have the recognition of ZEISS to be really honest I can't tell the difference between this and my Leica-R going side by side.

OTUS: this ones have amazing quality, but the fact that are only 3 types of lenses makes it a bad option.

Since I want to make a good investment in lenses, I honestly wanted to ask if its just maybe better just wait for the NAB and see if something new is announced, or go with Master Primes and film at 6k in VV.
    Instagram: @rv12
    Vimeo: @rv12

The Tokina Vista primes have a very different form factor compared to Cooke when the form you factor in is price ��
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

I really love my Tokina Vista Primes
    Tim Daust
    Reelmind Studios
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35 #6197 "Wicked"
    DSMC2 GEMINI 5K S35 #15175 "Jade"
    @TimDaust @ReelmindStudios

I can't think of anything negative about Sigma Cine FF Primes, we have the 50 and 85 and they are great. The zooms are a bit eh
    Reuben Evans
    Executive Producer Faithlife TV/Faithlife Films
    http://FaithlifeTV.com

Helium Weapon
    4 Scarlet MX
    RED Rocket-X
    FCPX
    DaVinci Resolve
    Sigma Cine Lenses

Sounds like you don't like the size of the Tokina's (which is odd because you reference Master Primes), so Sigma is the easy obvious choice. Don't listen to other people, the lenses are so easy and inexpensive to rent just try some out. You ARE in Miami no?

You have quite a price range swing there though in your original post between Sigma's and Supremes ha.
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

My cycle on VV seems to be Tokina, Sigma, Otus - wash and repeat. Occasionally some vintage glass like Mamiyas, Leicas, or Olys.

Really depends. I would say the newest offerings between Tokina, Sigma, and Zeiss all lean towards a cleaner modern look, with their own subtle nuance. Then it's build, size, weight, breathing, etc..... I would say most are pretty controlled flare in this category.

Tokina and Sigma have the "fullest" T1.5 set you can get in 2018 and 2019. Meaning a fair bit of focal lengths.

Here's a look at the T1.5 lenses in order of general cost per lens, less expensive to more expensive

Sigma Cine T1.5 = 20, 24, 28, 35, 40, 50, 85, 105 (105 out this week, 40 late this year, 28 early 2019)
    Zeiss Otus = 28, 55, 85 (there are "supposed to be" two more lenses on the way)
    Tokina Vista T1.5 = 18, 25, 35, 50, 85, 105 (105 comes this year)
    Zeiss Supreme = 25, 29, 35, 50, 85, 100mm (that's what's out right now, but this set will go 18-135 at T1.5)

I own and use a lot of this glass. It's real hard to go wrong here. Generally speaking these optics punch well above their weight when it comes to a price to performance ratio.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    [...]
    Tokina Vista T1.5 = 18, 25, 35, 50, 85, 105 (105 comes this year)
    Zeiss Supreme = 25, 29, 35, 50, 85, 100mm (that's what's out right now, but this set will go 18-135 at T1.5)
    I sure hope Tokina re-evaluates its thoughts on providing a solution at 135mm.

Helium 18-105 == Monstro 25-135

I own and use a lot of this glass. It's real hard to go wrong here. Generally speaking these optics punch well above their weight when it comes to a price to performance ratio.
    It really is wonderful to see options that come as close to Master Prime performance as these do while costing 1/2 to 1/4 as much. And yes, Tokinas are heavier than Sigmas...you pay for performance with weight. But better to have the choice than not!
    Last edited by Michael Tiemann; 11-01-2018 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Added Helium/Monstro equivalence
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    Sounds like you don't like the size of the Tokina's (which is odd because you reference Master Primes), so Sigma is the easy obvious choice. Don't listen to other people, the lenses are so easy and inexpensive to rent just try some out. You ARE in Miami no?

You have quite a price range swing there though in your original post between Sigma's and Supremes ha.
    Yes the size of Tokinas make it impossible for a MoviPro or when you single operator. When I mention Masterprime is all about the image quality nothing to do with form factor.
    Instagram: @rv12
    Vimeo: @rv12

I haven't used them but from what I see Sigma has the most impressive set of cine lenses right now. 20 to 85mm at T1.5 for 3500 USD per lens and all 95mm fronts? It's unbeatable I think.
    KAREL ŠIMŮNEK fan of RED :)