Thread: Killer Budget Wireless Video System - Cosmo400

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Killer Budget Wireless Video System - Cosmo400 

Has anyone else checked this thing out yet? $1,599 on BH. Just got mine and was super impressed. I've been searching for a solid budget wireless video system for a while. I decided on a whim to try this thing out and I'm glad I did. It's the best priced SDI + HDMI system I could find and its 1080P 60 Uncompressed 4:2:2 specs interested me as well as the almost 0 latency.

Here are the features from BH:

The Hollyland COSMO 400 allows you to transmit up to a 1080p60, 4:2:2 uncompressed HDMI or SDI signal up to 400' line-of-sight with <1 ms latency. The system operates on the 5.1-5.9 GHz frequency band and uses AES-128 encryption for secure live delivery of your video. The frequency is selectable by a 10-step selector knob provided on both the transmitter and the receiver unit, and up to four COSMO 400 transmitter/receiver sets can be used on the same frequency in point-to-point and point-to-multipoint setups.

Both the transmitter and receiver come with L-series battery plates. Additionally, D-Tap to LEMO cables are included for powering both devices off compatible batteries. An articulating arm and a crab clamp are also supplied for mounting the units. The housings are metal and designed to efficiently handle heat to provide you with a robust and reliable system.

In my initial test, I was able to get around 600' line of sight. Nothing scientific, so I'll continue testing. So far I really like this system. It's well built, metal housing, and I have tons of Sony L series batteries so it's a perfect solution for me. Can always use D-Tap if I want to keep it as light as possible. The hard case that the unit comes in is a nice touch and everything but batteries and video cables are included. I was able to build the setup from the included articulated arm for the transmitter and clamp for the Receiver.

I met the reps of Hollyland at NAB and found out they just started branding their own products. For years they have strictly manufactured and other companies have rebranded their units. So if this model looks similar to others, that's apparently why.

I ran some sony battery tests on the Transmitter and here were my results. Depending on your batteries, you may have slightly different results.
    NP-F550 (2500mah) - 3 hours 38 minutes
    NP-F750 (4800mah) - 6 hours 31 minutes
    NP-F950 (6900mah) - 8 hours 53 minutes

So far, I am very impressed. I'll update this post with more info and feedback after playing with it some more. But I may have found the best wireless video system for the budget conscious who don't need crazy long range. I usually am fairly close to video village so this seems like the ideal system for me. I'm glad I gave this system a shot even though they seem to be a new company. Time will tell, but so far so good!

Unboxing Video:

Has anyone else tried this one out?

Looks like I bought it too soon!

For 24 hours this system will be on sale at B & H and probably the lowest price it will ever be. Limited to 100 kits so if you're on the fence, just buy it and return it if you don't like it. Starts 11/7/2018 @ 12:01am and ends 11/7/2018 @ 11:59pm EST.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ss.html?sts=pi

A review from Tom antos.

https://youtu.be/CT62jD6PMHE

Yeah, I've had one of these for a few years. It's the same system as the Ghost eye, vaxis, the one the swedish guy sold, etc. It's an excellent system. Very reliable, great range. had to fuck up.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    Yeah, I've had one of these for a few years. It's the same system as the Ghost eye, vaxis, the one the swedish guy sold, etc. It's an excellent system. Very reliable, great range. had to fuck up.

Nick
    So far, so good. This thing is legit.

Looks like it's $999 on B&H right now. Are the battery plates removable so I can make them thinner? I'd be running P-Tap just about all the time.

Senior Member Christopher S Johnson's Avatar
    You can hit up B&H and tell them you'd like to return it. They'll ask you why, tell them they have it on sale for a better price now and they'll refund you the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    Looks like it's $999 on B&H right now. Are the battery plates removable so I can make them thinner? I'd be running P-Tap just about all the time.
    You can have up to 4 receivers per transmitter. I just bought a 2nd receiver for my setup. Yes, the plates are removable.

From Product Features:
    “The frequency is selectable by a 10-step selector knob provided on both the transmitter and receiver units, and up to four COSMO 400 transmitter/receiver sets can be used on the same frequency in point-to-point and point-to-multipoint setups.”

Ordered! Thanks Matt!
    "All art is deception."

My DP reel...
    http://www.evingrantdp.com
    360 Cinematography and camera rigs...
    http://www.360dop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Evin Grant View Post
    Ordered! Thanks Matt!
    No problem!!

Hope everyone else is getting in on this deal. Crazy price for this thing!