Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC3 Wish list

Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    Why is internal ND such a big deal to people? Can't you just raise the shutter if needed? We will clearly be getting it but wondering why it is #1 on so many people's lists.
    No. Absolutely no. Though some will do this, most cinematographers are very deliberate about their shutter speed/angle and keep that consistent or change it up on a scene by scene basis. Using ND and light you can exposue accordingly. Shutterspeed has a rather extreme impact on the general motion cadence of a shot and it's the one thing you don't want to be screwing around with when intercutting. Also something even more important in the world of HDR filmmaking for that matter.

The lust for Internal ND comes from a few directions. Keeping the camera as small as possible is one of them, less to pack too. The ease and speed of use is the main factor as much of the world of videography has crossed over to what many consider cinematography today as have the workflow demands of traditionally faster turnaround times associated with those workflows.

You can take REDuser as a decent sampling and various other communities. The general industry who shoots for cinema and larger budget episodics typically don't "need" or even care about internal ND. In fact on those productions even when the camera has that as a feature it's sometimes rarely used and traditional front of lens filtration is the path most chosen. But that is a small audience of DPs who are shooting in that arena compared to the "entire industry", and that's where much of the want exists for it.

It's 2019 and I can't tell you how many DPs I've met who literally have never used a matte box during their careers. Very literally not the world I come from, but it's a telling sign.

And it's an empowering thing for sure as it saves time, but like with anything there's pros and cons. And most people ignore the cons in this case.

So yes, internal ND would be a nice solution. For many discerning DPs, front of lens will still be the way to go.

Personally I'm happy to just have more options. But it's far from a primary selling point on a camera for me. For others however, it's high on their list.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    Komodo spec level and price point in the same body/form factor as the rest of DSMC3, sharing media, monitors, modules, protocols etc. I understand Jarred says it's mainly intended as a crash cam and for that smaller was the most important part, but as he acknowledges himself 95% of the people who buy it will be peons like me for whom the Komodo price-point is their A cam. No sense not giving them a more painless path to upgrade into the higher end cams as they go.
    I don't think "spec level" will be close when it comes to DSMC3 and Komodo, and I don't think body form factor will be either. I think we'll see some of Komodo show up for sure, like 4K monitoring, but DSMC3 will likely still be the premiere lineup moving forward.

Jarred has underlined, bolded, and italic'd that Komodo is more or less a micro utility camera and sort of it's own thing.

I'm expecting DSMC3 to be it's own thing as well. Based on the nuggets of info, we already have a decent idea of several ways DSMC2 and Komodo differentiate from each other.

And though it's likely not known or mentioned, I don't think Komodo will have an upgrade path to the bigger bodies. But who knows, the camera is not out yet. My personal hope with Komodo is it becomes it's own body lineup with eventual upgrade paths.

RED's in a fun position here because Komodo is striking a zone they haven't tackled yet, but their premiere camera lineup will still be their premiere camera lineup.

Certainly Komodo will serve some as an A-Cam option, but for those who it doesn't, it's pretty clear and exciting to see where it will fit into their workflows.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Here's a crazy idea: dual-pixel ND. if one can do a fast-enough readout of half the pixels in, say, 1/500th of a second, then two half-frames could be combined for 1/250th of a second. Four half-frames could be combined for 1/125th. 10 for 1/48th. This cuts light hitting the sensor by 10x (slightly more than 3 stops) while providing fairly decent approximation (10 samples) of "normal" motion blur.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    Why is internal ND such a big deal to people? Can't you just raise the shutter if needed? We will clearly be getting it but wondering why it is #1 on so many people's lists.
    Well... if you raise (actually lowers) the shutter speed, then obvisouly the shutter will get lower. You know, motion blur or lack of motion blur and that sort of thing ?
    You can't always have a variND in your mattebox or on the lens, especially outside with sky, clouds, water and leaves, where a ND is really needed, because variNDs are just double polarizers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    Komodo spec level and price point in the same body/form factor as the rest of DSMC3, sharing media, monitors, modules, protocols etc. I understand Jarred says it's mainly intended as a crash cam (for which "smaller" was the most important part), but as he acknowledges himself 95% of the people who buy it will be peons like me for whom the Komodo price-point is their A cam. No sense not giving them a more painless path to upgrade into the higher end cams.
    When Jarred ever sad that. You know you can read Komodo thread by pushing red team button.
    Last edited by Alex Stolpakov; 12-30-2019 at 02:25 PM.

I forgot to also put that we need top and bottom accessories to be able to slide, like Arri accessories started with the Amira and carried on into the newer mini accessory cages.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Epple View Post
    I forgot to also put that we need top and bottom accessories to be able to slide, like Arri accessories started with the Amira and carried on into the newer mini accessory cages.
    You mean good cage , like LF. Plus one.

4 x mic/line inputs on TA3

Just some thoughts on reliability
    - Higher reliability when using pre record. On our last trip we had 3 crashes that causes us to loose some of our best footage.
    - Saving to 2 cards at once so we have better backup.
    - If camera crash do not destroy the last written file, but save it in such a way that it can be recovered upon boot.
    - More advanced file system than Fat32 that has better file structure backups
    - Faster SSD for offloading, would be nice with 2000 MB/s read/write speed.
    - A pre record that never stops. Right now when you press stop and start it takes several seconds for it to activate again, this is usually when something cool happens. Being able to always have it on would be very helpful and then

And of course, better slow motion, etc
    Cheers,
    Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Quote Originally Posted by Blair Thornton View Post
    4 x mic/line inputs on TA3
    Or two TA3 and one TA5... and give us that AES input on one TA3.

Did I mention "no fan"?

Internal ND - Cameras like the Venice demonstrate internal ND can offer real advantages with little penalty
    Shallow flange depth - This is a no brainer as it costs nothing to push the sensor forward and there are so many advantages from a new generation of glass to adding Modules behind existing longer flange depth glass
    Faster UI - My experience with the 8K Monstro can be so frustrating when it comes to focus as 1920x1080 doesn't cut it in a 8K world and the 1:1 zoom in function is so slow its frankly embarrassing on a high end cinema camera.
    4K monitoring output- see Above
    Support for 1:1 zoom on selected monitor paths even during recording - See Above
    Quieter fans - While each generation has got quieter (My Epic MX nickname was the "hairdryer") DSMC3 needs to be quiter again
    Dual readout sensor like Sony and Panasonic - This technology allows more choice and flexibility
    I should have put this first but real and powerful Autofocus is needed as demonstrated by the Sony FX9 and Canon C500mk2. This is a potential Achilles heel for Red as Sony and Canon are leveraging their R&D and experience with DSLR AF with tools like advanced face and eye tracking tools for focus. Do not misunderstand me as I am not suggesting AF that works idependantly of the operator like some dumb old video camera. I'm talking about powerful tools that allow the operator to decide where focus should be and the camera does it. I would guess that Sony FX9 AF tech will end up in the Venice Mk2 and when people understand just how "efficient" this tool can be cameras with only manual focus will be behind the eight ball. Red should not ignore this issue in 2020
    Tom Gleeson