Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Teradek Bolt DSMC2 on set review

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Any issues using the Teradek Bolt DSMC2 with the V-Lock IO Expander?

We received ours a little while ago. No time to test the actual signal yet, but this DSMC2 Bolt 500 will be put through it's paces next week on a multicam setup. In the meantime, I've been dealing with the physical setup.

The stock antennas aren't very big by any means, but not exactly "low profile". Inspired by Markus, I ordered 90° low-profile antennas from Teradek -- Item no. 11-0035.

Installation is dead simple... as expected. The only issue I had was top plate clearance.

Despite the smaller antenna size, I had a collision with the OMOD top plate, which sticks out behind the body a little bit. The top plate was a few millimetres from making contact with the camera at the back, and the antennas couldn't rotate. So, rather than drop more coin on a new top plate (and then possibly affect our side + base plates), I opened up the tool box and turned on the GoPro: https://www.instagram.com/tv/BqtQ5UKnS8p/

Please forgive the vertical format... it's IGTV ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Very excited to have eliminated two cables and a 1/4-20 mount from this camera! Here's hoping the signal holds up!

3.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #23  
    Well done Ivan. ninja.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lay View Post
    Hey Phil,

Do you have if the DSMC2 module is compatible with Offhollywood top plate below?

https://csny.io/collections/mounting...smc2-top-plate

It seems like the plate may get in the way of the antenna.... hopefully I'm wrong!

Cheers,

Pete
    I just bought the Offhollywod Standard top plate hoping it would give me a solution since my old Extended OMOD top plate covers the antennae ports. Unfortunately the Standard plate is a millimetre too long to fit the antennae on - not even sure the Paralinx antenna extender Greg posted earlier would fit on there? At this stage my best option looks like the revised Wooden Camera pass-through top plate they modified to fit the new KipperTie Revolva lens mount (which is badass!) https://woodencamera.com/products/re...op-plate-dsmc2
    Attached Images

I upgraded to the latest RED Weapon Release Candidate build (7.1.01) to get support for the Teradek module (prior to that I was getting no video to the receiver but everything was powering correctly with Brain->Teradek->OMOD XLR2->RED V-lok plate config). As soon as I upgraded - everytime I'd boot the camera, after initialization it would go straight into a low voltage 10sec countdown and turn the camera off (despite trying with fully-charged batteries from two different manufacturers). I removed the OMOD & RED Vlok plate and switched to a RED V-lok Expander module and it all worked fine.

The module is bad-ass. Hoping I can get it working with the OMOD XLR2 - waiting on word back from Offhollywood on that.
    Attached Images

Thanks Dan. I hit it with Dremel ;)
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lay View Post
    Thanks Dan. I hit it with Dremel ;)
    I need to get a Dremel

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Welch View Post
    Any issues using the Teradek Bolt DSMC2 with the V-Lock IO Expander?
    I used it with V-Lock Expander and Base Expander. Both work great with the Bolt DSMC2.
    Markus Förderer, BVK
    www.markusfoerderer.com

We just got ours in the 1000 flavor, but we're having a lot of trouble getting signal from it to our bolt1000 RX. I've done a spectrum scan and most look to be clear but it will not hold a connection for more than half a second. Then it takes about 5min for it to re-connect. I've updated firmware on both Tx/Rx and I see a new release of firmware from RED, but I don't think that will fix it. Has anyone had issues like this before and found a solution. I'm going to open a ticket with Teradek on Monday if we can't get this sorted over the weekend. Its an awesome piece of gear if i can get it to work.
    Post Production Supervisor
    DIT
    Colorist
    dmorrison91@me.com

Quantum Arc Media
    IMDB

Scarlet-Dragon 5611 "Centurion"
    RED One M 1948 "The Peacemaker"

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Morrison View Post
    We just got ours in the 1000 flavor, but we're having a lot of trouble getting signal from it to our bolt1000 RX. I've done a spectrum scan and most look to be clear but it will not hold a connection for more than half a second. Then it takes about 5min for it to re-connect. I've updated firmware on both Tx/Rx and I see a new release of firmware from RED, but I don't think that will fix it. Has anyone had issues like this before and found a solution. I'm going to open a ticket with Teradek on Monday if we can't get this sorted over the weekend. Its an awesome piece of gear if i can get it to work.
    Hi Derek, we had the same exact issue with two of our DSMC2 modules. Also, the modules would not connect with Bolt Manager properly so running a firmware upgrade was not possible either. Teradek has been extremely helpful in getting this resolved for us though - they've since replaced both modules, which are now working perfectly.