Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Teradek Bolt DSMC2 on set review

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Official info from Teradek on the production model.

Yes, it takes over the EVF/HDMI feed when enabled. The DSMC2 BOLT has a toggle switch to enable the EVF/HDMI signal when you want to get your head in there.
    So your modes of operation when DSMC2 Bolt are attached are:

1. Top mounted touchscreen + DSMC2 Bolt Wireless feed (toggle on) + NO EVF + Any video outputs provided by Expander attached after Bolt

2. Top mounted touchscreen + DSMC2 Bolt Wireless feed (toggle OFF) + WITH EVF + Any video outputs provided by Expander attached after Bolt

?

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Foerderer View Post

What we found tricky at first were the long antennas that can get in the way when you quickly wanna grab the camera. We tested different antennas and ended up using antennas from our OMOD module.
    These are shorter and come in an 90 degree angle, so that they stay close to the camera. Even with these short antennas, the connection is rock solid.

Hey Markus, thanks for the post and feedback. We actually made a little accessory which may help you out here in case the right angle antennas aren't giving the best performance: We made a little mounting bracket with some different length extension cables and a spiral cable wrap for cleaning it up. What could be nice about this setup is you can either bolt the antenna bracket somewhere else on your camera or you can wrap some hard-side velcro on it and stick it in different places on your camera depending on the situation.

https://www.paralinx.net/store/antenna-extension-kit
    Attached Images

Official info from Teradek on the production model.

Yes, it takes over the EVF/HDMI feed when enabled. The DSMC2 BOLT has a toggle switch to enable the EVF/HDMI signal when you want to get your head in there.
    Thanks Phil,

Unfortunately when I want to "get my head in there" is when I want the feed to be transmitting to client etc. Am I the last one to operate with an EVF? Sadly not going to work for me. Good for the movi guys though...

Why couldn't they take over the SDI feeds? That's the thing that can go bye bye when I'm transmitting.

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Morrison View Post
    Unfortunately when I want to "get my head in there" is when I want the feed to be transmitting to client etc. Am I the last one to operate with an EVF? Sadly not going to work for me. Good for the movi guys though...

Why couldn't they take over the SDI feeds? That's the thing that can go bye bye when I'm transmitting.
    I use both the LCD and EVF myself as well. Though I will say the vast majority of the market uses the LCD from what I can see from the perch.

I have a theory why they took the HDMI, but I'll save that theory for when and if it happens.

Just picked up a demo unit. I'll write some crazy stuff up on it. Diving deep into right this second.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Hey Phil,

Do you have if the DSMC2 module is compatible with Offhollywood top plate below?

https://csny.io/collections/mounting...smc2-top-plate

It seems like the plate may get in the way of the antenna.... hopefully I'm wrong!

Cheers,

Pete

I use both the LCD and EVF myself as well. Though I will say the vast majority of the market uses the LCD from what I can see from the perch.

I have a theory why they took the HDMI, but I'll save that theory for when and if it happens.

Just picked up a demo unit. I'll write some crazy stuff up on it. Diving deep into right this second.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Morrison View Post
    Thanks Phil,

Taylor
    I'm with you Taylor, I always have an LCD and EVF on the camera. Kind of can't do without it. Wish they could either scrap or split the SDI feed. I'd be OK if it weren't another dedicated feed with mapping overlays and all...if the BOLT and SDI were the same exact output from camera. Obviously not a camera engineer or programmer so I'm sure there are technical limitations but seems like nothing too crazy to ask for.
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    The wireless chip teradek uses for this module only has a hdmi input , so that’s what they used. To take over sdi they would of needed to make a hdmi to sdi bridge which would of increased size and power. You of course can use a normal bolt with sdi to get what you are after Albiet not in the module form factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    The wireless chip teradek uses for this module only has a hdmi input , so that’s what they used. To take over sdi they would of needed to make a hdmi to sdi bridge which would of increased size and power. You of course can use a normal bolt with sdi to get what you are after Albiet not in the module form factor.
    Ahhh, makes total sense. Luckily their new standard TX units have gotten smaller (and less hot) so no big. Appreciate the reply Jarred.
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

Would love to get this but sticking to my Bolt XT as I as well use both LCD and EVF.
    Eric Oh csc, mysc
    Cinematographer

www.vimeopro.com/ericoh/dop
    www.instagram.com/ericoh_csc

Monstro | Sigma Cine Primes | GL Optics 70-200mm | Clavius Lenses | Teradek RT Latitude | Teradek Bolt XT

Anyone have any more photos using the Bolt DSMC2 with different modules mounted behind it?