Thread: Wooden Camera vs Titla 4x5.65 Matte Box

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Wooden Camera vs Titla 4x5.65 Matte Box 
    Not sure if this is the right venue, but can anyone make a strong argument why I'd pay $1,495 for a Wooden Camera Matte box over $895 for a Tilta one? The specs seem similar and both offer swing-away for lens changes.

I've purchased both Tilta and Wooden Camera stuff for my Scarlet-W and find them both to be well made. I'm 'only' using Sigma art lenses for now (with prime rentals on the horizon when budget allows) so it's hard to rationalize spending more for a matte box than I did for the lenses.

Thanks!

While I don't have any experience with that Tilta box, I believe the Wooden Camera one is great for the price. Granted, I got the base kit used (No swing away) so I would always recommend looking for a deal if you can. Price aside, I have no doubts about the durability and feature set of the Wooden Camera matte box. The lens clamp can hold a 5lb Cine lens on it's own, no problem, I've used the matte box as a handle without any negative repercussions, and the extra mounting points can come in handy in many unexpected ways (Get creative)!

I prefer the 15mm clamp included with the base kit over a swing away, especially if you're using photo lenses. I don't recall the specifics, but I know I had issues in the past using a follow focus with an extending lens (And with very short lenses). This isn't an issue with the Sigmas but it's something to keep in mind.

P.S: I love contacting Wooden Camera support when I'm having any kind of problem, big or small; They're great.

not sure if it is of any use but wooden camera are bringing out a new zip box pro very soon....

I have several Matt Boxes - Oconnor O Box, Bright Tangerine Misfit, Lock Circle MatBox and recently bought the Tilta MB T12. Each of these have their own design benefits but I have to say the Tilta one is my new favorite. You cannot beat the price and quality of this product. My only complaint is that it doesn't have the option for side flags. Its light, well designed, built tough, has 3 trays, can be clip on or rod mounted and comes with several backs including 134, 114, 110, 95 & 80mm. Don't waste your money on the WC one just get the Tilta its awesome.
    Last edited by Matt Bass; 10-11-2018 at 08:53 PM.

[QUOTE= Don't waste your money on the WC one just get the Tilta its awesome.[/QUOTE]

That's kind of the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

Cool web site and great work too, MAtt!

Hey Matt, is it actually 85mm or 80mm? mine came with 80mm ring. A friend just bought a set of Celeras, (85mm) and is looking for a MB solution.

Thanks,

Nick

Thanks for the kind words:) I made a little typo previously that I just fixed. It actually comes with all of this stuff! I forgot to mention the Hard Mattes and that the 15mm Rod adapter is height adjustable!

Here is what it comes with...
    1. Carbon fiber body
    2. (3) 45.65 filter frames
    3. (1) Top French flag
    4. (1) 15mm LWS rod adapter
    5. Ф134mm, 114mm, 110mm, 95mm, 80mm clamp attachments
    6. (5) Hard mattes (16-20mm, 24-28mm, 35-40mm, 50-65mm, 85-180mm)

https://tilta.com/shop/4x5-65-carbon...amp-on-mb-t12/
    Last edited by Matt Bass; 10-11-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Love the Tilta MB-T12