Thread: KipperTie Revolva EF major image quality issues (softness + chromatic aberration)

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 KipperTie Revolva EF major image quality issues (softness + chromatic aberration) 
    Hi everyone,

I've got quite a fundamental problem with the quality of the image after installing the KipperTie Revolva EF Mount.
    The moment I put on the new mount, all lenses instantly look super soft, impossible to focus and loaded with chromatic aberration to an extend, that the image becomes unusable.
    Attached images are straight out of camera (RED Scarlet-W).

I've made sure the mount is installed correctly and switched back and forth between the original RED Canon Mount and the Revolva. No matter if an ND filter is applied or if it is just the clear filter or even no cartridge inserted at all - the image looks very bad.
    Is anyone experiencing similar issues? Is it just my specific Revolva model that is completely off or are you having image quality trouble with your Revolva too?

Best,
    Elias
    Attached Images

I don't own one of these - but just a guess - you may have to adjust the back focus on the sensor.
    IATSE Local 600
    Steadicam Operator
    TreeFarmCinema.com

Leica Summicron-C - Schneider Xenon

Hi, feel free to reach out to us directly at KipperTie for any issue you have.

We have over a hundred units shipped without any complaints like this, so something’s definitely gone wrong here.
    It’s possible that certain lens combinations are problematic, but what your describing isn’t typical or expected.
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products

Elias I’ve found your contact details on our system- keep an eye out for a message from me.
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products

Hi John,

thanks for the quick reply. The issues were apparent using the Sigma Art series as well as the Zeiss CP.2 series.
    How would you like me to reach out, e-mail? Phone?

Many thanks,
    Elias

Quote Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post
    Elias I’ve found your contact details on our system- keep an eye out for a message from me.
    Thanks!

I have been using the Revolva on this project I'm doing right now in Denmark for the past 5 days and there's absolutely no degradation in the image. Business as usual when it comes to IQ
    Daniel Stilling, DFF (Danish Society of Cinematographers)
    Director Of Photography
    www.danieldp.com

Same here. Used the Sigma 18-35 and 50 without any issues

Quote Originally Posted by Elias Danner View Post
    Hi John,

thanks for the quick reply. The issues were apparent using the Sigma Art series as well as the Zeiss CP.2 series.
    How would you like me to reach out, e-mail? Phone?

Many thanks,
    Elias
    Elias, were you shooting wide open on the lenses with the Revolva installed vs stopping down without the ND? Because the chromatic aberration and softness might be explained by that, especially on the CP.2.
    Red EPIC-W #003307 "Annabelle"

Thanks for the responses everyone. Good to hear that your units are working well!

I am absolutely certain its not an aperture / lens quality issue since all lenses look fine / much better without the Revolva glass in front of them.
    The unit is already on its way to GB for inspection. I'm sure the issue will be solved. I'll keep you posted.

Best,
    Elias