Thread: Audio preamp for Weapon - SONOSAX M2D2

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Audio preamp for Weapon - SONOSAX M2D2 
    Hello,

I think this is built for our purpose. A nice audio add on to our Weapon kit.
    Small, light, best preamp ever made with 135db overall dynamic range. Limiter integrated.
    Self powered or with external Hirose
    Minijack Line output or AES/Line

https://www.sonosax.ch/category/news/sononews/

This can also record directly to a Smartphone for a smaller recording setup.

Pat

SX-M2D2 Product Announcement

The SX-M2D2 is a lightweight 2 channels high resolution dual-domain microphones preamplifier with integrated USB audio Class 2. Compact, low power, battery powered, the SX-M2D2 embeds similar high performance dual A/D converters than the SX-R4+. This product is the ideal companion for various mobile environments. Its ergonomic has been carefully designed for convenience and easy of operation.
    Inputs / Outputs

2x mic/line inputs on TA3, electronically balanced, with phase reversal, 48V phantom, LF cut and level control on the front panel
    1x AES3/AES42 on TA3, transformer balanced input with phase reversal, 48V phantom, LF cut and level control on the front panel
    1x line output on TA3, 2 channels analog unbalanced
    1x AES3 output on TA3, 2 channels transformer balanced with ASRC (48/96/192k)
    1x USB audio 2 channels input/output on micro USB type B connector
    independent line/headphones stereo output on mini-jack

Performance

135 dB (A-weighted) overall dynamic range
    THD < 0.001%
    90 kHz overall frequency response @192kHz
    24-bit 48/96/192kHz

Powering

external DC 9-18V on Hirose 4-pin
    external DC 5V on micro USB
    removable lithium-ion battery, charged with external DC input
    intelligent energy management

User interface

12864 monochrome OLED display
    two rotary encoder for gain control
    intuitive menu navigation

Mechanical

Machined aluminum housing
    overall dimension: 74 x 28 x 130 mm (2.9’’ x 1.1’’ x 5.1’’)
    weight 300g (0.44lbs) with battery
    mounting holes on both sides
    optional mounting bracket for still camera

Note: preliminary specifications, subject to change without notice

When you value sound, don't forget to calibrate your speakers or headphones with a program like Sonarworks https://www.sonarworks.com/ and let your ears checked at a audiologist.

Nice find! Only for Weapon or for all DMSC2?
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

If you wanted to use the Sonosax M2D2 for single system sound with a DSMC2 Base Expander, would you just get a short stereo mini to stereo mini plug to connect them? Wouldn't that still route your audio signal through the same pre-amp prior to recording? I realize the M2D2 offers lots of potential configurations, but AFAIK the vast majority of RedUsers run RED Base Expanders. Would the M2D2 be able to provide such a robust signal that you could turn the gain far enough down on the pre-amp inside the Base Expander to overcome it's limitations?

FWIW, I'd love to see them add an SD card slot that would allow direct recording simultaneously with sending a signal to camera. Perhaps such a feature would add too much cost/power draw/heat to the equation to make sense - but if it could be done without too much impact on form factor/cost...

To be clear, I'd rather have a dedicated sound person with an independent recording device - but not every project will provide that.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    Nice find! Only for Weapon or for all DMSC2?

It's working with all DSLR type or minijack input (5D, DMSC2, Sony A7, and so on)

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Would the M2D2 be able to provide such a robust signal that you could turn the gain far enough down on the pre-amp inside the Base Expander to overcome it's limitations?
    That's exactly how it's intended to work. Use the best preamp out there to power your 48v or AES mic and then feed a line signal to your camera skipping the camera preamp system.

Pat

PS: Blair you'r right, Sonosax did skip the part of the recording. They have been studiying the case but due to a cost increase they decided to focus on building the best preamp they could. The system is also a great addition to an AES recorder (like the Sonosax-SX R4+ or the Omod XLR) or even a Smartphone to make some wildtrack in the smallest foot print but keeping the best quality possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    FWIW, I'd love to see them add an SD card slot that would allow direct recording simultaneously with sending a signal to camera. Perhaps such a feature would add too much cost/power draw/heat to the equation to make sense - but if it could be done without too much impact on form factor/cost...

If the camera has an AES input, then the quality in the camera would be exactly the same as if they'd built an SD card into it. That is a reason why it has an AES output.
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Sadly, most RedUsers sport Base Expanders that do not have a tap for AES audio. To be fair, Sonosax, or any third party vendor, cannot be expected to design products that fit every possible use case. Just looking to drill down and determine whether the M2D2 - great though it may be - can bypass the Base Expander audio tap. I grasp that feeding a line level signal into the mini plug should be vastly superior to directly connecting a mic, which is certainly useful.

For me, a Base Expander user, the addition of an SD card slot for redundant recording upstream from being fed to camera would make the M2D2 a must have. YMMV.

Cheers - #19

Very nice! For people looking for onboard recording the MixPre would probably do you just fine unless you are looking for specific output type. If gain on the camera is set to zero though I am sure what the camera records will sound fine.

Love that it has a built in battery and ability to power from various methods and even USB. Should get enough USB power even from the Base Expander.

This mounted to the left side of the camera with a Small Rig left side plate would be a pretty nice setup. https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-re...late-1847.html

This is how I have been mounting my MixPre.

You have now this guy to add an external recorder with AES in :

https://www.lectrosonics.com/US/Reco...duct/spdr.html

Pat

The Lectrosonics unit looks nice - but not excited about mounting both the Sonosax and the Lectro to my rig (plus wireless video TX, wireless MDR, etc).

Thanks to Patrick for the find, I might rent one on some projects. That said, from a form factor perspective, I just want something as small and light as possible that has good pre-amps, rock solid 48v phantom power and a card slot for redundant recording upstream from the camera audio section. Maybe a Lectro-Sax love child...

Cheers - #19