Thread: Request for REDCINE-X background colour options

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Request for REDCINE-X background colour options 
    Hi there. I grade a lot of clips in RCX and use the parade extensively to give me a 'true' white, as a starting point.

However it has occurred to me that the black background (and I mean only the 100% black border immediately surrounding the clip, within the clip viewer section of the UI) could be right-click-customisable to be white sometimes, instead.
    Black would remain the default setting for everyone, and overall I really like the dark UI.
    Adobe's Photoshop has a similar customisation - you can choose black, white, chequerboard, grey..

This would be massively useful to me, and hopefully many others. Much of the footage I work on is ultimately for use on white web pages, so seeing the clips framed in white, prior to export, would be so great. It would quickly show the user if their creative colour grade looks good embedded in a white webpage. Quite often mine look fantastic framed in black, then psychedelic when moved into white.

Would this be helpful to anyone else? Devs are you keen? or would this whiteness upset the force..?

Thanks
    Alex

Bump

mockup:

Last edited by Alex F-R; 09-28-2018 at 07:34 AM.

*taps mic*

My advice would be to not try serious color-correction in Redcine-X Pro and instead use a dedicated color-correction program like Baselight or Lustre or Resolve, with a calibrated display and external scopes, plus a control surface. You won't have the range and control in Redcine. It's perfectly fine for exporting LUTs or trying different looks, or creating dailies.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Thank you Marc. I do use Resolve too, but for RED footage I find the workflow is much quicker in RCX.
    I appreciate your advice, but my issue isn't actually regarding level of control - I believe you are right, DaVinci Resolve with calibrated display/scopes/control surface would be much more 'serious' for colour correction.

My issue is actually pertinent to speedily grading a bunch of clips in RCX. Seeing edited clips embedded in a white background would QUICKLY show me what they will look like on a white webpage.
    Currently I grade clips, export them, and then once they are online I sometimes feel they could do with a tweak towards green, or warming up a hair, or whatever. They just look different when framed in white.

I don't want to mess with the default black, so this would not adversely affect anyone. It would just massively help anyone working for web, rather than Tv/big screen output.
    And ..I imagine the coding required to change one solid background section of a UI is within reach of the guys who created RCX :)

Still begging for this:
    Please, give option for white background - it would save so much time for any clips being edited for web (essentially an instant preview for use on white webpage)
    Would really appreciate it

RCX V51 is out and i guess this isn't happening. I'll pipe down. Sad face.