Thread: Missing Markers in RedCineX Project

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Missing Markers in RedCineX Project 
    I've tried long and hard to use RedCineX as a selection tool for choosing stills out of clips. But everytime i save and close and then reopen RedCineX ALL MARKERS ARE GONE. WTH? can't trust this program. I have to select all markers, export them as stills, hoping the program doesn't crash?

Hello Daniel, i have the same problem. I worked all day with a customer and markt shots and now see nothing. Maybe i cant understand somethink, but why marker needs if it's delete herself all the time when program shutted down ?

Daniel,

I don't know if this is what you are asking for but this is how I do stills in Redcine-X, from another thread I posted in.

If Redcine-X is crashing check to see how much memory you have allocated to Redcine-X? You can check this in under the "Edit" menu then "Preferences" then "System". You can give Redcine-X more if that doesn't affect your other system programs too much.

I would go into the "Stills Workspace" under the "Workspace" Menu.

Next, I would import a clip and let it cache.

You can chose a low Resolution to view your clip in for smoother playback and so that it cache the entire clip instead of cache different parts at a time. I've tried "Full" which won't allow you to select frames as fast and cache slower and didn't see a difference in resolution or file size.

Then, while the clip was playing continue to press "E" until all of the frames that I wanted where in my bin.

Next, "Right click" inside the bin to select all the clips.

Then, "Ctrl + E" for Export, then next to "Source" select "Bin (selected Stills)". Choose the .TIFF stills format from the dropdown menu. Then make any changes to the .TIFF "setup" settings you need to make.

Next, hit "Export" to tell it where you want your stills to be located/stored( I made a folder earlier). Wait for the number of clips being exported at the top in the "Export" header to go from the total number being exported to completion,"Export(15) to "Export", then check your folder for the clips.

Last edited by rand thompson; 09-18-2018 at 03:37 PM.

I just stumbled on this bug. Lost quite a bit of work. Anyone got a fix? Roll back to earlier RCX version maybe?

Rand, do you know if advanced dragon debayer can be used when exporting still snapshots? The option is there, but I'm not sure it works because when I open a still snapshot in the viewer, the ADD snapshot button is greyed out.

Looks like the markers are still being written to the .rmd file. So they are there, but there's a bug in Redcine so they are not visible, and export markers does not work.

Reverted to RCX 50.4 and most, but not all, of my precious markers have reappeared. I think 50.5 is not just not displaying existing markers, it is also deleting them when a clip with markers was saved.

As it does not work as of now. My workflow suggestion:

Instead of adding markers to the metadata use the snapshot r3d function and simply extract single frame r3d’s for your sellects. When you got all your sellects as nice raw single frames you can reimport them, or bring in to Photoshop, davinchi or what ever as raw and then export color baked tiffs or what ever from there. As single frame r3d’s does not take much space they are also easy to send to retouch or repro over the web and such. And always nice to stay raw as long as possible.

the tv in the r3d snaps also work somwhat like markers, you can line up the snaps in a timline and export an XML and relink to the original souce. That gives you a timline with all the sellects after each other with tails which can be handy aswell.

But yes oss that the markers get lost in the last update.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Thanks Bjorn, but I don't think ADD works on R3D snapshots, and my current workflow is straight to Lightroom from RCX. I guess I could just export tiff snapshots but I've always preferred to use markers in case I decide to come back and re-export a batch of stills.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    Thanks Bjorn, but I don't think ADD works on R3D snapshots, and my current workflow is straight to Lightroom from RCX. I guess I could just export tiff snapshots but I've always preferred to use markers in case I decide to come back and re-export a batch of stills.
    Nope not on the snaps but the round trip of importing the snapshots and then and relink to original source will give you ADD capability. Still nice to have raw in a snug / tight package :)
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Thanks Bjorn. I didn't realise you can relink a single frame R3D to the original file. That may come in handy one day. If Lightroom could handle R3D's I think I would live without ADD for the benefits of the smaller file sizes and quicker exporting.