Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: MacBook Pro 2018 for a RED workflow?

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    How about this one:

Gigabyte 15.6" Aero 15X v8-BK4K4P Premium Gaming and Business Laptop PC

• 8th Generation Coffee Lake Intel Core i7-8750H (2.2GHz upto 4.1GHz, 6 cores, 9 MB SmartCache) Processor
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 GDDR5 8GB Graphics Card
    • 15.6" Thin Bezel UHD Adobe RGB 100% Pantone X-Rite 3840x2160 IPS anti-glare display LCD
    • LAN: 1 x 10/100/1000 Mb/s Gigabit Ethernet (RJ45), 802.11ac; Dual-Band and Bluetooth 4.2
    • 32GB DDR4 SDRAM Memory
    • 2TB PCIe SSD (Solid State Drive)
    • Windows 10 Professional (Win 10 Pro)
    • HD Web Camera
    • No Optical Drive
    • 1 x Thunderbolt 3, 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A, 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A, 1 x Mini DisplayPort 1.4, 1 x HDMI 2.0, 2 x Integrated Speaker, 1 x Integrated Microphone, 1 x 1/8" (3.5 mm), Headphone/Microphone Combo Jack
    • Gigabyte Fusion Per Key RGB Keyboard
    • 94.24Wh 10hrs Long Battery
    • Dimensions : 356.4(W) x 250(D) x 18.9(H) mm
    • Weight: 2 kg.

$ 3.950, still $ 450 less than a MacBookPro and a 4k screen with 100% Adobe RGB.

With a descent codec you have to be a real pixel peeper to see banding.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Laptop/A...X--i7-8750H#sp
    Have considered this one too, it is pretty sweet! Only thing I don't particularly like is the matte surface of the screen, but that's a tiny detail.
    EPIC - X DRAGON #8215 "Allie"

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Look at the new Lenovo P1. Step in the right direction.
    Absolutely, dual thunderbolt ports for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by Aris_Gavriilidis View Post
    Absolutely, dual thunderbolt ports for the win!
    I am really hoping the Lenovo P1 or P72 prove useable in the new scenario. Thinkpads have the best keyboards, goodbye MBP crap. And the P1 has two 2tb NVMe's, that can be raided, the p72 adds a 3rd drive, and hopefully it is true and useable, P72 claims 10bit color.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops.../p/22WS2WPWP72

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    The Gigabyte Aero isn’t bad at all, my issue is with the lackluster I/O. And saving $450 over a MacBook Pro seems more like losing money when the MacBook Pro gives you 4 x TB3 offering up way more connectivity and expansion possibilities. It does have a Gen 2 USB 3.1 at least... That kinda helps...
    I always thought the same, till I heard that those 4xTB3 are all going over the same DMI (which has the speed of 1 PCIe-3 4 lanes).
    Thinking about it, it makes sense.

The i7-8750H or i9-8950HK have 16 PCIe 3 lanes, 8 for the GPU, at least 4 for the SSD so there are only 4 PCIe-3 lanes left.
    In the best case scenario you can get 31.52 Gbit/s over the 4 PCIe 3 that are still open(when they are, I'm not sure) and 31.52 Gbit/S over the DMI(with the rest of the chipset dead).

But we all know that intel can do magic, so I might be totally wrong.

MSI is also releasing the WS65 with quadro P5200 when you really need the 10 bit color in openGL(Adobe, etc.. the RX555x and RX560x in the MacBook can handle 10 bit color in openGL and the screen of the MacBook is 8+2 FRC, not really 10 bit but better than 8).

The Lenovo looks nice if only it had a better GPU (4 GB VRAM is bearly good enough for 4k and 140 GB/s bandwith is also on the low side), I wouldn't advice it for Post workflow with 4k or higher.

There's also that new HP ZBOOK STUDIO G5 which advertises 100% Adobe RGB with 1 billion colors on its Dreamcolor display and I believe it, considering it's driven by a Quadro card, which to my knowledge outputs 10-bit color. I haven't seen any measurements of the actual gamut produced though, but Dreamcolor technology has a good reputation so there shouldn't be any major discrepancies. It also comes with dual thunderbolt 3 ports so it's pretty attractive, it's very similar to the Lenovo P1.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris_Gavriilidis View Post
    There's also that new HP ZBOOK STUDIO G5 which advertises 100% Adobe RGB with 1 billion colors on its Dreamcolor display and I believe it, considering it's driven by a Quadro card, which to my knowledge outputs 10-bit color. I haven't seen any measurements of the actual gamut produced though, but Dreamcolor technology has a good reputation so there shouldn't be any major discrepancies. It also comes with dual thunderbolt 3 ports so it's pretty attractive, it's very similar to the Lenovo P1.
    I saw all the HP Zbook G5 series at NAB. Most of them have dual thunderbolt. They are really nice machines and they are really expensive. I also saw the new Dells, again some great new Precision work stations with various GPU's and dual thunderbolt. Between Lenovo, HP and Dell you have a load of choice/configuration. All three also have available overseas warranties. Arguments for the 17" in all of these is the p5200, multiple ssd's, much better cooling- less throttling and a big 17" screen. Of course there is a weight/size penalty, but when you load the machine up, you don't need any peripherals, cables and such. Incredible choice that we have now.

The Lenovo P1 does look promising. As was said above, Lenovo has the best keyboards. They also have some of the worst touchpads. You get their little trackpoint pencil-eraser mouse thingy which is actually handy at times, but only because their touchpad is so bad.

I’ve used the ZBook G5 a bit, and it would probably be my current choice if I were getting a PC notebook. I’ve mentioned my Dell on here a couple times. I’m not under NDA, but had not been specific about it since they’re not out in the wild yet. They might be now... And they are shipping with the Alienware label. I’m running a Dell Precision with the new 6-core i9 CPU, 32GB RAM and Quadro P5000 GPU (overpriced GTX1070M equivalent). It’s identical to the new Alienware 15, but has Quadro instead of GTX1080 GPU and no colored LED lighting. Still only one Thunderbolt 3 port. Given the choice, I would take the Alienware, but sometimes you get what you get when dealing with certain clients and corporate partnerships. I had high hopes for it, but the MacBook Pro outperforms it in every way other than a few GPU related tasks. The Dell has better polygon/ performance and supports CUDA. MacBook Pro GPU is superior for pixel/texture throughput. Technically the Quadro should be better for computational work, but they’re pretty much dead even with the OpenCL testing I’ve done. Can’t compare CUDA or Metal...

As for 10bit color on the Quadros or other supporting GPUs. It’s still hit or miss in terms of support. The 2016 and now 2018 MacBook Pro support 10bit as well. I can enable it in a Metal or OpenGL full-screen view. I don’t know of any apps that are using it. Just as no one seems to use the 10bit ability on some of the GeForce cards that offer it. And I know Resolve and some other apps like Photoshop will offer some support to some specific GPU models.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

The Lenovo P1 does look promising. As was said above, Lenovo has the best keyboards. They also have some of the worst touchpads. You get their little trackpoint pencil-eraser mouse thingy which is actually handy at times, but only because their touchpad is so bad.

I’ve used the ZBook G5 a bit, and it would probably be my current choice if I were getting a PC notebook. I’ve mentioned my Dell on here a couple times. I’m not under NDA, but had not been specific about it since they’re not out in the wild yet. They might be now... And they are shipping with the Alienware label. I’m running a Dell Precision with the new 6-core i9 CPU, 32GB RAM and Quadro P5000 GPU (overpriced GTX1070M equivalent). It’s identical to the new Alienware 15, but has Quadro instead of GTX1080 GPU and no colored LED lighting. Still only one Thunderbolt 3 port. Given the choice, I would take the Alienware, but sometimes you get what you get when dealing with certain clients and corporate partnerships. I had high hopes for it, but the MacBook Pro outperforms it in every way other than a few GPU related tasks. The Dell has better polygon/ performance and supports CUDA. MacBook Pro GPU is superior for pixel/texture throughput. Technically the Quadro should be better for computational work, but they’re pretty much dead even with the OpenCL testing I’ve done. Can’t compare CUDA or Metal...

As for 10bit color on the Quadros or other supporting GPUs. It’s still hit or miss in terms of support. The 2016 and now 2018 MacBook Pro support 10bit as well. I can enable it in a Metal or OpenGL full-screen view. I don’t know of any apps that are using it. Just as no one seems to use the 10bit ability on some of the GeForce cards that offer it. And I know Resolve and some other apps like Photoshop will offer some support to some specific GPU models.
    Are you using the new Precision 7730? It has dual TB3 and quadro p5200

Quote Originally Posted by scott devitte View Post
    Are you using the new Precision 7730? It has dual TB3 and quadro p5200
    To be honest, I’m not sure which model it is as there’s no Precision label or model number referenced. It’s a 15” (3840x2160) screen, single TB3 port. Has 32GB 2666MHz RAM, can take more — 64GB for sure, possibly 128GB, with a Xeon CPU and 2400MHz ECC memory. This unit has the i9-8950HK CPU (2.9GHz 6-core) that everyone is using, same as in the top end MacBook Pro. P5000 GPU with 8GB. Wish it had the P5200 as that’s the GTX1080 equivalent. I didn’t get to select the configuration completely, it’s a corporate partnership deal and I got the system a little over a month ago and while I can use it or do whatever, it’s basically a corporate leased unit via a client I do a lot of consulting for. It came in a plain brown Dell box with just the power adapter and recovery disc. The client had already placed their asset tag on the base of the unit. Hard drive was wiped bare, I had to do a fresh Windows install, which I would’ve done anyway.

EDIT> Oh, it also has a fingerprint reader and the system-wide encryption.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

To be honest, I’m not sure which model it is as there’s no Precision label or model number referenced. It’s a 15” (3840x2160) screen, single TB3 port. Has 32GB 2666MHz RAM, can take more — 64GB for sure, possibly 128GB, with a Xeon CPU and 2400MHz ECC memory. This unit has the i9-8950HK CPU (2.9GHz 6-core) that everyone is using, same as in the top end MacBook Pro. P5000 GPU with 8GB. Wish it had the P5200 as that’s the GTX1080 equivalent. I didn’t get to select the configuration completely, it’s a corporate partnership deal and I got the system a little over a month ago and while I can use it or do whatever, it’s basically a corporate leased unit via a client I do a lot of consulting for. It came in a plain brown Dell box with just the power adapter and recovery disc. The client had already placed their asset tag on the base of the unit. Hard drive was wiped bare, I had to do a fresh Windows install, which I would’ve done anyway.

EDIT> Oh, it also has a fingerprint reader and the system-wide encryption.
    Sounds like a cross between the 7720 and the newer 7730. Do you have the 4k screen? Anyway I am sitting tight on getting the 15" MBP till this latest news shakes itself out. I hate to lose FCPX, but Apples intransigence and locked down system seems to be a real drag on any updating. Very interested to see your take on this.