Thread: Filtration used on Stranger Things?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Filtration used on Stranger Things? 
    Hey Guys,

Does anyone know what (if any) filtration was used on Stranger Things? I do see some halation. I'm just curious what they're using and bonus points if anyone knows the strengths used.

I have this feeling it may something like a Black Mist or Glimmer Glass or something similar. Hoping someone has some insight.

Thanks!
    Cinematographer/Editor/Writer

CinePros | Arterial Pictures
    RED Monstro CF "Baymax+"
    Blackmagic Pocket 4K
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Leica R

Some clues here:

https://deadline.com/2017/08/strange...ew-1202141889/

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/23/...lix-interview/

https://www.awardsdaily.com/2017/06/...view-tim-ives/

To me, a lot of it is great lighting, great lenses (Leica in this case), and a lot of smoke/haze diffusion on set. And a good chunk of time and money.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Yeah, I really do love the lighting and the Leica lenses they use. What really made me wonder about filtration was because of the halation in street lights at night. Of course, they could have done atmosphere effects in real time, but I wasn't 100% sure. I'm looking to get some filtration.

I'm between Tiffen Black Pro Mist (1/8 and 1/4), Schneider Radiant Soft (2 and 3), and Schneider Hollywood Black Magic.

Any thoughts on those above and whether or not I should consider others? Thanks!
    Cinematographer/Editor/Writer

CinePros | Arterial Pictures
    RED Monstro CF "Baymax+"
    Blackmagic Pocket 4K
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Leica R

Quote Originally Posted by RJ_Ortiz View Post
    Yeah, I really do love the lighting and the Leica lenses they use. What really made me wonder about filtration was because of the halation in street lights at night. Of course, they could have done atmosphere effects in real time, but I wasn't 100% sure. I'm looking to get some filtration.

I'm between Tiffen Black Pro Mist (1/8 and 1/4), Schneider Radiant Soft (2 and 3), and Schneider Hollywood Black Magic.

Any thoughts on those above and whether or not I should consider others? Thanks!
    I've got no idea what they use on ST, but I've been very fond of Tiffen's Pearlescent filters. I'd rent those and give them a test.
    Brendan H. Banks
    Cinematographer
    Local 600 IATSE

DSMC2 Gemini #796

1/4 Hollywood Black Magic is my fav

GlimmerGlass can be amazing under the right circumstances as well.

To tell the truth, Stranger Things itself is imitating the looks of 1980s stuff like Allen Davieu's work in E.T., plus Derek Valint in Alien, Nick McLean in Goonies, and Vilmos Zsigmond in Close Encounters, and a lot of that boils down to Kodak film, Panavision lenses, and a lot of haze and fog on set. The film stocks back then were rated relatively low in ASA, so they poured on the light for those shows.

Don't underestimate the importance of art direction as well: the sets and costumes and style of Stranger Things benefitted from all the departments working together to create that look, and it was not cheap. The trades report that the budget for season 3 has ballooned up to $6 million per episode, so they have the money to really craft a look that's already 90% right there in front of the lens.

Noted colorist Skip Kimball (now at eFilm/Hollywood) also had a hand in creating a lot of the look on those shows, and he did an exceptional job. I think Stranger Things has one of the boldest, most interesting looks of any TV series of the last 10 years, and it's fun, emotional, exciting, and also tells the story very well. Very much "feature quality" work for television.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer