Thread: SSD/HD docks for on set transcode/cloning

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 SSD/HD docks for on set transcode/cloning 
    Hi There, I'm doing a little research on SSD/HDD on-set docks for the DIT to use when cloning a drive for the production company. The editor of course, would get a new HD for each day of shooting. Any one out there practicing this methodology with success?

I have seen a lot of SSD HDD Docks from companies that I've never heard of which surprises me. Startech and Sabrent come to mind and lead that list. OWC also is in the running. SSD drives would probably be the only form of storage to be used. Crucial and Samsung seem to be the most popular.

If you've had any experience you'd like to share, I"m all ears.

Thanks very much.

Peter Keenan
    pkeenan@pobox.com
    310-717-7400 (c)

This one is pretty good with it's 2 USB 3.1 gen 2 ports http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_ne...b-overview.htm

No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    This one is pretty good with it's 2 USB 3.1 gen 2 ports http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_ne...b-overview.htm
    I bought that one, but it had issues on Mac, drives kept disconnecting. I got a similar drive dock from OWC. Rock solid.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
    I bought that one, but it had issues on Mac, drives kept disconnecting. I got a similar drive dock from OWC. Rock solid.
    Works perfect on Windows, windows is pretty flexible with all kinds of hardware and otherwise some kid thinks something out to make it work and puts it on the WWW.

REDuser Sponsor
    Anything Sabrent I've tried out just has been a piece of junk. I have one as a USB HUB and it disconnects just a basic keyboard/mouse.

For SSDs, Samsung is really good. Crucial I've seen a lot of failures.
    Tim Gerhard
    MagStor LTO Systems
    614-433-0011 x114
    www.magstor.com
    tgerhard@magnext.com