Thread: Moving to RED. Best setup for Davinci Resolve

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    If u want 6K or 8K exr/DPX in real time, u need SSD RAID... spinning disks don't do that, doesn't matter if u use 24 of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Shane View Post
    - a refurb'd z840 with dual 12-14c's / 128g / dual 1080Ti's and a decklink4k pro
    Interresting:

A refurb'd Z840 with lets say 2 x Xeon E5-2690 v4, 128 GB DDR4 2400 and 2 x GTX1080ti, where my purposed litlle new setup is around 30..50% faster in Resolve related workloads.

Is it just the Z840 badge or something else?

rock solid reiability really, great cooling, etc

and i'd not go for 2690v4's anyway, choseing maybe 2687w_v3's that's more than enough horsepower for any reasonable client attened sessions.. far less cash outlay - once it's fast enough to run footage at 23.98, no more power is going to do anything usefull, rather spend the resources on a callibration system and decent monitor, or if that's covered off, a small surface

and really i'd sooner go for a refurb'd z620 with dual 10c's if the resources could not strech far enough to cover both a fast machine and accurate monitoring, i put a proirity on the monitor + callibration over any machine once you are past the 23.98 threashold, source cacheing is a usefull option, but inaccurate monitoring has no options for a workaround

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Shane View Post
    rock solid reiability really, great cooling, etc

and i'd not go for 2690v4's anyway, choseing maybe 2687w_v3's that's more than enough horsepower for any reasonable client attened sessions.. far less cash outlay - once it's fast enough to run footage at 23.98, no more power is going to do anything usefull, rather spend the resources on a callibration system and decent monitor, or if that's covered off, a small surface

and really i'd sooner go for a refurb'd z620 with dual 10c's if the resources could not strech far enough to cover both a fast machine and accurate monitoring, i put a proirity on the monitor + callibration over any machine once you are past the 23.98 threashold, source cacheing is a usefull option, but inaccurate monitoring has no options for a workaround
    I don't see how those HP workstations are more rock solid, have better cooling, etc.. than a custombuild Windows 10 workstation with high-quality components and assambled with some commen sence.
    I'm not at all impressed by the components used in OEM workstations (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc...).

A dual socket E5-2687w_v3 is good enough for 6k but with 8k RED 7:1 23.976 it is just to slow to decompress in real-time.
    Our overclocked TR1950x 4 GHz all-core which has approx. the same speed as a dual E5-2687w_v3 is not stutter free (highest quality settings) with 8k RED 7:1 23.976 let alone 5:1, 9:1 is stutter free.

A good callibrated color correction monitor is as you state very important and since our commecial customers want it to be shown on a UHD HDR display(TV) we also color correct on a callibrated UHD HDR display (LG OLED TV).