Thread: Moving to RED. Best setup for Davinci Resolve

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Moving to RED. Recommended PC build for Davinci Resolve 
    I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but just thought I would see what everyone's ideal build would be for Davinci Resolve and RED.

Basically, if you were going to build a PC today, what would your parts list be?

I thought I would post my current setup.

My current build:

i7-8700k
    MSI z370 gaming M5 motherboard
    16 GB G Skill Trident Z 2400 (My last build had 32, never use more than 10-12 gb)
    GTX 1070

(side note: I've tried to OC the 8700 to 5 ghz and just cant get it stable without taking volts/temps higher than I wanted to. Not sure if anybody here has any insight. Using an NZXT Kraken x62 280mm AIO)
    Last edited by Sterling Williams; 07-30-2018 at 11:10 AM.

This is more a philosophy than a methodology per se. There's a lot of different ways to do it.

My suggestion is to shoot some color charts and see what yields the best results that way, then do some tests with real-world images and experiment. A lot will depend on how well you know Resolve and how deep you want to get into it. As of the last few months, I tend to use RWG-RGB for color science and RedLog3G10 as a starting point, but there are times when I might go with RedLogFilm under some situations. I tend to do a lot more after the Raw settings anyway, because it's faster and I tend to correct different parts of the picture using tracking masks, along with curves.

There's been quite a few discussions about this in the past few years. Here's one:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...avinci-Resolve
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Williams View Post
    (side note: I've tried to OC the 8700 to 5 ghz and just cant get it stable without taking volts/temps higher than I wanted to. Not sure if anybody here has any insight. Using an NZXT Kraken x62 280mm AIO)
    Pretty good price/performance 4k editing station.

When you want more GHz out of your CPU you will need something like a der8auer Delid Die Mate 2 - CPU IHS Heatsink Removal Tool to delid the CPU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XopM4p4CBrs
    and use other thermal paste, something like this http://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/pr...onductonaut-en
    The NZXT Kraken x62 is a great AIO cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Pretty good price/performance 4k editing station.

When you want more GHz out of your CPU you will need something like a der8auer Delid Die Mate 2 - CPU IHS Heatsink Removal Tool to delid the CPU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XopM4p4CBrs
    and use other thermal paste, something like this http://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/pr...onductonaut-en
    The NZXT Kraken x62 is a great AIO cooler.

I did swap out the stock thermal paste on the X62 to the Noctua NT-H1

but I haven't gone as far as deliding a processor yet (not sure I want to get that crazy with it, I've seen plenty of people hit 5ghz with the stock cpu)
    Last edited by Sterling Williams; 06-21-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Williams View Post
    I've seen plenty of people hit 5ghz with the stock cpu)
    Not everybody gets a golden sample (they call them i7-8086k these days).
    The delid die mate 2 is only $50 and it's save and the liquid metal is around $15.

Thermal conductivity of Noctua NT-H1 is 8.9 W/mK and conductonaut is 73 W/mK (8 times more conductive).

Hard drive read/write speed will be a MAJOR factor when it comes to throughput (saving, playback, rendering, etc...). Additionally, the motherboard also plays a major role in how fast data can move between components. If you don't have a great motherboard, it doesn't matter how fast your CPU or GPU is, because the motherboard bus lane will be the bottleneck and you will never benefit from the full processing potential.

SSDs are perfect for the operating system and any software, but be aware that using an SSD as your working drive for video editing. Too many writes will shorten the life of that SSD, and unlike a hard drive when an SSD fails, all data is lost.

Dedicated raid cards are worth every penny regarding data redundancy and getting the bet write/read speed. I highly recommend the ATTO raid cards (https://store.atto.com/25-sassata-raid-adapters).

I build all my editing machines (I plan to post about that in the future), and currently, my setup includes the ATTO 6Gb SAS RAID card and 4x 8TB HGST NAS 7200RPM drives. Using ATTO's raid software, I have the drives configured in the DVRAID (DVRAID is a customized RAID-4 configuration for video playback performance, it's faster than raid-5 for read speeds but slower with writes) mode. At the moment it easily handles RED's 8k workflows without a problem and knowing that all my video footage is backed up instantly gives me a lot of piece of mind.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Chad Lancaster
    ICON Motion Pictures

The Southwest
    www.thesouthwestfilm.com
    www.fb.com/thesouthwestfilm
    Instagram: https://goo.gl/6cElQF

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Lancaster View Post
    I don't have first-hand knowledge of their systems, but I have talked to them and they know their stuff. This looks like solid advice.

Yes, Puget Systems is a first-class company and they can definitely build high-end Resolve Windows systems. But not cheap.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

i would question their claim the 32g is enough sys ram, it clearly is not in the real world, fusion uses huge amounts of sys ram, and their claim that you can't work from spinning drives is also clearly bunk

my main workstation has dual 12c, dual 1080Ti, 128g, 32Tb of spinning disk on SAS, that runs pretty much anything i need it to in the real world, where i often see Resolve using 90g by it's self, i also have Nucoda on this machine and it uses 60g, so 128 is safe

my secondary workstation has dual 8c, single 1080, 128g, 32Tb spinning disk on SAS, also have Nucoda on this machine, UHD + OFX are a push on this machine, do-able with node cacheing, no sweat running UHD on this machine with Nucoda tho, far better

my conform station has dual 6c, single 1080, 96g, 64Tb spinning disk on SAS, HD only, and that's all that is needed for this machine, also run DS and Media Composer on this one

also have three edit stations that are similar, older machines, dual 4c / single 1050Ti / 32g / 16 Tb on SAS, they run Resolve alongside Media Composer, with proxies and optmised media they do fine for the tasks they are asked to take on, but that's about their limit

nowhere do i use SSD for media, only sys drives, on every single machine the sys drive is mirrored set of EVO's