Thread: Please, RED geniuses. Need some input.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Please, RED geniuses. Need some input. 
    I have a mini-mag that will mount to the camera and play back data. The data is on the card.

I can get the mag to mount on my computer, but when I open the mag it is blank. No data visible. Disk utility shows it as uninitialized, but the 272gb data that I shot is on the card.

RED Undead won't read this card because it was formatted UDF.

My question is no longer, "can I recover the data from the card" (which seems to be "no") but rather....

is there a workaround, since I can playback the data on the camera, wherein I can record the data from the camera to another recording device, in playback mode?

It seems like there should be a way to do this....but I can't wrap my brain around it.

Any ideas?
    Attached Images

If you can get sdi out of the camera, get a atomos or videodevices recorder that can take the sdi and playback. It should work. Only 1080p though.
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

I assume you've tried other computers and connection interfaces? Sounds like maybe there is something wrong with the filesystem or connection interface that your mac is more sensitive to than the camera. I'd be confident that you can recover it... Just need software to repair the filesystem or recover files by detecting files without referencing the file table.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel | noahyv.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
    If you can get sdi out of the camera, get a atomos or videodevices recorder that can take the sdi and playback. It should work. Only 1080p though.

yes, I have an Atomos, though it is on the other side of town right now. 1080 is ok with me. I thought about this solution but wasn't sure if I could get a clean feed via playback....

Moderate suggestions, especially since you can playback the footage on camera, try a different computer.

Bare in mind a full mag on MacOS w/ UDF will take a while to mount properly.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

1. Try on a different computer/platform (like windows)
    2. The playout solution will work, but you are at 422 1080. Which is in no way bad compared to losing your shots.
    3. FAT32 isn't all that bad.

Senior Member Christopher S Johnson's Avatar
    So only with the new firmware was the FAT32 / UDF format option available on my SW. I've looked it up several places, but can someone give me an actual explanation of the differences?

Here is a weird suggestion which may not be practical in this day and age of better products.

If the drive actually mounts, is it then possible to copy the entire drive to another drive in the computer, then try opening the copied folders in that drive?

I had a similar issue with a USB drive out of the SI2K way back in 2009. It was my own silly fault because the drive was not original supply but installed by me in a dataport box ( SI2K ) flavour of a digital magazine. After a lot of repeat attempts, the drive finally copied in its entirity to another identical drive. I don't really know what I did because I am computer-ignorant. It was just a matter of blindly stabbing away at the same thing and something did eventually happen. There was one bad file on the copy. I know that file was munted because of a power cord being caught on a foot and yanked out of the camera. So maybe the drive was not in a good state as well. I did not use it again.

It might have just been a dud drive which happened to chance upon gasping its last. This comment might prompt somebody else with better knowledge than I.

To close this thread - A friend put it in Windows and did a "check disk" on it, and all of the data magically reappeared on the bum drive. I can read the same drive on my Mac now, no problem. The solution was relatively easy, with the right tools. The check disk was able to find the file allocation tables - it just didn't have the directory names so it made generic names. Filled in the blanks on the missing naming structure.

But man, what a heart attack. Never had anything quite like this before, in 11 years of shooting RED images. Maybe this thread will help someone else - there's lots of great advice and support here, thank you all very much.

This is not provenbto work. But I would try record one more clip to the card.

Thrn slsa restart computer with the card mounted.

Ive seen this behavior on my mac at times with uhd formated mags. But fiddling with it has sorted it.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro