Thread: Panavision DXL-M

Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S. View Post
    Sure, your scenario is what every RED user would love. But since nobody knows what the deal between RED and Panavision is, we just don't know. RED as far as I know doesn't make their own sensors. It's entirely possible Panavision is just getting the sensor from the same supplier but with a different CFA. The fact again is nobody knows. So you spreading your rumors is not any better, helpful or more true than what Panavision is saying.
    Sorry, this is just not right.

Everyone KNOWS the DXL-2 and DXL-M are manufactured BY RED for PANAVISION. It's no secret. The DXL's literally use MINI-MAGS, which are RED media.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Sorry, this is just not right.

Everyone KNOWS the DXL-2 and DXL-M are manufactured BY RED for PANAVISION. It's no secret. The DXL's literally use MINI-MAGS, which are RED media.
    The bodies or the sensors? I think he's saying something different.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package
    Gemini, Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Buchanan View Post
    The bodies or the sensors? I think he's saying something different.
    As far as I know, DXL2's use a RED Monstro sensor, and the bodies are manufactured by RED, to Panavision's specs.

It's not that much different than the Xenomorph RED made for Fincher.

Except now it's even more elaborate, with a custom OLPF, and other internals, etc that Panavision asked for.

But the DXL2 is, without question, 100% a custom camera platform that RED is making for Panavision.

That anyone would even QUESTION Peter Lyons Collister, ASC about this...is kind of disappointing. We are better than this.
    Last edited by Nick Morrison; 06-08-2018 at 03:43 PM.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    As far as I know, DXL2's use a RED Monstro sensor, and the bodies are manufactured by RED, to Panavision's specs.

It's not that much different than the Xenomorph RED made for Fincher.

Except now it's even more elaborate, with a custom OLPF, and other internals, etc that Panavision asked for.

But the DXL2 is, without question, 100% a custom camera platform that RED is making for Panavision.

That anyone would even QUESTION Peter Lyons Collister, ASC about this...is kind of disappointing. We are better than this.
    Agreed, if we're talking about the body. But I heard the sensors are unknown where they are made.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    Agreed, if we're talking about the body. But I heard the sensors are unknown where they are made.
    Where did you hear this? At the supermarket? At a baby shower?
    Maybe you could google DXL 2 and read what magically comes up.
    Oh wait I did for you... https://dxl.panavision.com/
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV

Quote Originally Posted by Jens Jakob Thorsen View Post
    Where did you hear this? At the supermarket? At a baby shower?
    Maybe you could google DXL 2 and read what magically comes up.
    Oh wait I did for you... https://dxl.panavision.com/
    And what am I supposed to be getting from this?
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package

nonsense.

The sensor in the first and second version of the DXL and also the small Panavision camera and the cameras themselves are 100% made by RED.

The sensors are the exact same as everyone purchases. The large camera is custom and the small camera is an ordinary camera with a larger production oriented module that has similar functionality to an offhollywood OMOD. we especially appreciate the integrated tri-sync lockit built into the module.

re: look, both cameras have a custom OLPF. Similar concept to getting one of KipperTie's OLPFs. Panavision isn't selling their's. It is optimized for a lit set (the projects that choose Panavision almost all have lighting budgets). I consider this, more than the LiteIron Lut, to be 'special sauce', although I wouldn't overstate it. The various OLPFs available for REDuser are ALL good.

The LUT has been created by LiteIron. Its more like a film LUT than a TV (Rec709) LUT. Arri now has a gazillion LUTs. We make custom LUTs all the time. Lite Iron is a really good finishing house and they created a LUT for the camera. I bet they have a gazillion LUTs for the camera or use the LUT referred to here as a stepping off point from which they tweak it further. So there's will be a nice LUT that doesn't lead someone astray re: exposure and emphasizes a filmic image presentation. Again, I'm sure DPs and DITs (and I suspect Lite Iron as well) modify their LUTs to serve the specific creative needs of the project.

Pretty cool. And also something that every REDuser can pretty closely approximate -- so consider it a vision to improve your game :)
    Regards,
    Paul Engstrom

RAW CAMERA COMPANY
    boutique image services
    www.rawcamera.com

RED Monstro/Helium ARRI LF/Mini SONY Venice PHANTOM 4k Flex
    Premium Lenses and Support: Leica, Zeiss, Cooke, Baltar, Lomo, Elite, Fujinon, Sigma, ZERO, Arri, Oconnor
    https://www.rawcamera.com/equipment/

I don't think you guys are understanding what I'm saying... I don't mean to say that RED isn't the main people behind the tech or whatever, but basically, I'm saying they aren't the alchemists of the sensor. Unless they have stated otherwise, but all the research that I've done, and folks that I've spoken with don't know (maybe under NDAs?) where any of the RED sensors are made. Again, if I'm wrong, point me into the right direction, either way I'mma shut up about the topic.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package

And what am I supposed to be getting from this?
    That you have no idea what you are talking about.

I wouldn’t mind paying 1000+ for light iron’s luts and olpf combo. Would be great for us non dxl monstro’s to be able to access them, making them one more choice for those wanting a certain look different to the great ones Red Provides us, similar to what John Marchant is doing with his great products!
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber