Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC2. Unified.

Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
    that sounds like a Solution 👍

WEAPON Helium (for sale)

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    This isn't close to the philosophy of before. The Magnesium was $29 500 when it came out, meaning the price for my 200 hours 6K MG is around $13 000 minus the upgrade price. I've been around since the beginning and this isn't close to reasonable compared to previous upgrade options. Just a day ago the new price for a Gemini was $24 500, meaning the upgrade price for Weapon seemed reasonable, speculating $5000 as the upgrade price. Now, Gemini is way lower.

It's just chaos really and I'm just hearing echoing marketing jargon rather than the close relationship with long time red-users. There's nothing financially positive with upgrading in the price-range for us, other than loose talk of "being part of the future". All the upgrade options since the the early days have been rather reasonable, but the math for this is just off for everyone outside the area of the plan going forward. The idea has always been "we have no idea what we're doing". That's fine when it comes to innovation, but if it means putting long term users into a tough spot, that's really not a good strategy. Recent times I've gotten quite tired of the atmosphere around Red, the core people, not only among Red but close to the company has begun acting like corporate proxies, sales people and the core philosophy has lost much of it's touch.

It's not the same anymore, as it was a couple of years ago. I don't feel any of that energy, only the business jargon trying to look the other way from an issue... People said it before, MG owners got screwed, the MG cameras got pulled from the market, the prices reduced instantly and now our cameras value is listed at $13 000 in order to upgrade.

Really?
    Lets not forget that magnesium upgrade from the epic dragon included a $5,000 credit, DSMC2 bass expander, DSMC2 top handle, side kick, redvolt XL plate, power adapter and custom case! If you think about it that’s almost 10k of free stuff making the upgrade only 5k - that was an insane upgrade deal! So to go Gemini at $7k is actually a pretty good deal..

Pretty stoked on this new direction of simplication, it has its growing pains but it’s worth it. It’s going to be so much easier to comprehend the various sensors and frame rates, producers, AC’s and myself will love this.

In the same boat , I purchased the first Gemini in India for $24,500. Lost $5000 in 25 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent@RED View Post
    Michael, no, we don't publish the queue list. Once you get contacted to select an upgrade window, you will know your timing.

Check my prior posts on request confirmations....
    Hi ,

What about the Gemini owners who purchased it 4 weeks back for 24,500$

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bass View Post
    Lets not forget that magnesium upgrade from the epic dragon included a $5,000 credit, DSMC2 bass expander, DSMC2 top handle, side kick, redvolt XL plate, power adapter and custom case! If you think about it that’s almost 10k of free stuff making the upgrade only 5k - that was an insane upgrade deal! So to go Gemini at $7k is actually a pretty good deal..

Pretty stoked on this new direction of simplication, it has its growing pains but it’s worth it. It’s going to be so much easier to comprehend the various sensors and frame rates, producers, AC’s and myself will love this.
    We couldn't trade them away, we had to spend time trying to sell them off in order to benifit anything since all the gear from before didn't support it. Most don't use redvolts but V-Locks and the V-Lock was unable to work with the Bricks and the Top handle. If you add up the man hours of work getting together a usable camera out of that deal, you still don't benifit as much. All of this is a marketing tool, it's meant to keep people on the rails. Criticising things like the current MG to Gemini upgrade price compared to the value drop of the MG is valid. Even more so with CFs. They could sell one CF and buy two new Gemini's, but the trade-in for getting a Gemini would cost them $4500. How is that even logical?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lee View Post
    I respectfully disagree. In NYU, most of the student DPs have their own camera, such as Alexa Mini and Alexa SXT Plus. In an environment where most student DPs have their own camera, not having your camera acts as a huge disadvantage.
    most of the students own alexa minis and sxt pluses? wow, wtf?
    when i was a student i could barely afford a bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Audy Erel View Post
    I don't know.. Should I upgrade my Scarlet-W to a DSMC2 Gemini or use the funds to buy other things like a set of good lights, microphones/sound recorder, etc. that would really up my game.. The gear acquisition syndrome is strong with this upgrade path, but to be honest I feel the Scarlet-W (or the Raven) is more than capable to produce beautiful images for years to come.. And that Atlas Orion anamorphic lenses is also looking great!
    Need. To. Choose. Wisely.
    In the same situation but I am going to invest in another gear, lenses etc. Would be cool to own Gemini and record 5Kws@120fps but I absolutely love my Scarlet-W and 5Kws@60fps is just fine for me... for now :)
    But I hope that the upgrade window will stay open long enough for Scarlet owners :)
    KAREL ŠIMŮNEK fan of RED :)

About DSCM1 and the price droping for DSMC2, for me it's better to keep my Dragon and add 5000e more to have new one Gemini.

Keep the Dragon as B cam for 5k is something I don't expect so it's better part for me of this announce yesterday :)

Thanks again !

What about an upgrade from the Scarlet-W to a monochrome sensor ? Jarred, would it be possible and at which cost ?

I'm was very pleasantly surprised to wake up to this news. I love the Epic-W, but I have often missed the times og the Epic-M and Dragon days when I didn't have to drop the sensor siz so often to shoot some slo-mo. It also felt great back then to "know" you had the same camera as some of the "top dogs" over in Hollywood were using. Everything just got complicated with all the sensors and bodies for a while. Explaining it to producers/directors was a pain, as I hardly got my own head around all the stuff myself in the beginning.
    Now everything will be more streamlined, and again I have a great upgrade path (though the sideway to Gemini is tempting for lowlight) served to me from you guys at RED.
    Thank you very much.
    PS I do understand (and know from experience over the years here) that some feel short changed. But it usually works out well for most of us Red users, thanks to Jarred and the team