Thread: V-mount vs Gold-mount

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 V-mount vs Gold-mount 
    When I first bought Anton Bauer batteries about 6-years ago, v-mount and gold-mount seemed about equal in usage, but now I see almost everything offered as v-mount. Has this become the more popular standard now?

Depends on your zone really.

Globally V-Mount is more used.

However, in major markets Gold-Mount is pretty common. Comes down to what you prefer really. Some people fear V-Mounts popping off, they shouldn't do that in reality.

Whichever way you go, I strongly recommend grabbing an adapter plate for whatever isn't your main battery mount type so when that time comes you can just slap it on.

I use V-Mount, but I also shoot sort of everywhere.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I have to say that we just had this discussion today on the set. I personally have never liked V mount. Hate them in a soft way. Gold mount is so much more robust in my opinion and I see it used by feature ACs much more than V mount.
    But I welcome other's opinions.

Harsh opinion: V in V mount stands for "Very much Sucks." the "eject" button of death, and the poor interface connector that are inherently part of the design of V mount are why so many Red One Cameras would randomly shut down during a take from getting ever so gently Jostled, thereby harming the reputation of reliability in the early days of Red.

See also "Why Won't My Red Brick Charge?"

V-lock at its worst is a complete disaster BUT we have them (Pags) as everything (UK) seems to need them... We are very carefull about every battery and plate we buy and there are some shit plates for Red cameras that have caused us stress... If we went AB we would still need some Vlocks as well..

Gold mount all day aye-day
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

As a v-mount owner, I would saw gold mount is better. There are just far less connection issues with them as the battery to plate interface is just a better design. So if you are starting off fresh and aren't so concerned about needing to rent batteries, then gold mount is the better option.

If you buy quality, I think both are very good. But I think gold mount is a more robust design that survives bad manufacturing better than V-mount does, and is less prone to heat-caused distortion that can affect the contacts on V-mounts in high-draw setups (like Red cameras).

So go with the batteries that are most available where you are (so you can rent when you need to) but buy quality, high-amperage rated batteries, and you should have few regrets.
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Auburn & Portland, ME
    www.airstream.pictures
    EPIC-M Dragon #1053

As someone a couple grand in V-mounts deep, I will be swapping over to Gold when my fleet of bricks needs re-celling. They're totally fine and I don't hate as much as other folks seem to, but I just don't see any reason not to go gold mount. Plus you can get a Gold/V sandwich plate and be off to the races. The other way around is far less secure...
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

The V-lock receiver mechanism on the battery belt clip has a different design and provides a more secure connection to the V-lock mount clip on the battery than the V-lock receiver on any of the RED expander modules. A secure power connection to the battery helps ensure reliable operation of the camera.