Thread: New Zeiss Otus??

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    I think you are broadly right..... but nobody told Leica... ;-) over 53k dollars a lens!

The Supremes are not actually that expensive within a traditional hire company perspective

of the new dedicated spherical cine glass the price ladder is

Leica FF
    Arri Signature
    Cooke S7
    then
    Zeiss Supreme

And really the only crazy price lenses there are the Leicas...

I have the Supremes here and the way we look at them is that they are the new SuperSpeeds/Ultra primes for the new FF idata age. Look and feel less Zeiss than normal and they seem to have traded some small measure of technical prowess for a slightly easier/nicer look!.. We expect to end up with probably about 11 or 12 of the 13 or so announced focal lengths... and I am fairly confident Otus will never have a 18mm T1.5 or 65mm or a 150mm that is just not what one needs from stills glass.... but as we are not a hire company it is getting very difficult to justify traditional cine against such good stills lenses..

PS but for a individual worjing in a true cine (PL etc) eco system it is hard to argue against Sigma cine or Tokina Vistas!... the Sigmas in particularly are exceptional value
    Would love to see that a company like lensrentals put thosse $20k+ lenses on their test bench together with the Sigma's.

The line-up of the Sigma's is getting pretty much complete now (would love to see a 65 and 180 ish).

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    According to Roger Cicala's tests of Lensrentals' copies there's no sample variation difference for the Otus, their extra cost is exotic glass and the different focus mechanism not greater QC, and generally it's a myth that anything below serious-cine-set level gets individual checks when they come off the production line. Here's a link on the first half of that statement, I couldn't track down the latter part. https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...mm-slr-lenses/
    Not sure we actually disagree. I stipulated that I would expect the Otus line to have similar tolerances/accuracy/build quality/etc to purpose built CINE lenses - just with less time allocated for QC. If you're suggesting the Zeiss Milvus line will be equivalent to the Otus line in fidelity to spec per 1,000 samples - you could be totally right - or not. All I suggested was that I would purchase the Milvus lenses via a dealer like Duclos who would allow me to return a lens that failed proper QC, no BS, no restocking fees, etc.

Am I being too paranoid... maybe. After many years in PL land, I find myself shooting a ton of EF glass lately for the VV coverage. I've shot some nice stuff with workhorse stills lenses like the Canon 70-200 2.8L zoom, Sigma ARTs, Zeiss Otus that exhibit image quality in the same neighborhood as the S4s, UPs, Optimos, etc. Properties like mechanics and focus precision, that is a whole other Pandora's box for some production styles, but on the optics/IQ side...

Disagree if you want, but in terms of optical performance alone, the delta has shrunk over the last couple of decades. In terms of personality, feel, geometry and many other characteristics that can impact storytelling - not to mention mechanics appropriate for motion production demands - there are plenty of valid reasons to shoot purpose built CINE lenses with solid PL mounting. That said, if you can resist putting premium stills lenses on your RED, you have a lot more self control than I do ;-)

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Just a moderate update.

As you can tell the Supreme Primes took over the scheduling and focus a bit for Zeiss leading up to the launch. However, there is a dirty, grungy, filthy rumor of some new Otus glass being announced before the year is out.

Just don't ask me. I'm Mr. Clean :)
    Where are these exciting new Otus lenses? H E L L O ? 🙃

Quote Originally Posted by Jiri Vrozina View Post
    Where are these exciting new Otus lenses? H E L L O ? ��
    He may have been hinting at the Supremes?
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    He may have been hinting at the Supremes?
    I was not, but I also can't comment on a few things. There are and will be more Otus unless the ecosystem has drastically changed for some reason, which is possible, but a slim possibility. I'll catch-up with a few folks and see what we can learn. But in the world of Zeiss they have a whole bunch of other stuff going on and they don't like to overlap with announcements too much.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Right now I'm poised to acquire the Otus 55 and 85 (Duclos versions) to round out the set. I would love to see a wider Otus (like a 21) as well as something in between the 28 and 55.

Having said that, I would also love to see Zeiss come out with Super Speed CP.3s based on the newer Milvus lens designs (35, 50, 85). If that were to happen I may very well put my Otus plans on hold and instead go the CP.3 route.

It would be nice to hear something from Zeiss on either front.

Otus 15-18 and Macro 100 would be nice.
    If possible next 12 months..

We asked at the Zeiss booth at Cinec in Munich. They told us, there will be some new Otus lenses in Q1 2019, but didn't tell us what focal lenghts they will bring.
    RED CF MONSTRO 8K VV
    Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85

Website // Facebook // Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bichler View Post
    We asked at the Zeiss booth at Cinec in Munich. They told us, there will be some new Otus lenses in Q1 2019, but didn't tell us what focal lenghts they will bring.
    It will be a 70mm. Lol

It can be mid of next year when they announce. Let's just hope it's a good announcement :) Can't wait! Borrowlenses will probably have them for rent before Lensrentals.