Thread: DEAR RED, CAN WE GET THIS BATTERY THING HANDLED?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 DEAR RED, CAN WE GET THIS BATTERY THING HANDLED? 
    There are soooooo many threads about this that it gets to be old news. But that still doesn't make it OK.

I have a DSMC1 and a DSMC2. Both lose time and date info when shut down. The DSMC2 is less than a year old and only loses it if left for some period of time. And, of course, it will recharge the internal battery and resolve the problem if/when I fire it up and let it run for 30+ hours. Is this really a solution?

The DSMC1 is older but I have had the internal battery replaced at least once - it may even have been twice but I lose track. Regardless, it now is apparently dead again and, as is widely known, no amount of "letting it run" fixes the problem on the DSMC1. The last repair was something on the order of $300 and took several days including shipping time. I'd consider getting it fixed again but lack confidence that it will "stick."

I occasionally rent out my camera and feel awkward when I can't deliver a perfectly running camera. I feel the need to disclose the "dead battery" issue. So far it hasn't cost me a rental but I am sure I wouldn't be happy if I was the renter.

Is this something we should have to put up with in a piece of professional equipment that costs upward of$10K?

Please address this issue - the silence from RED is really unacceptable.
    Scarlet Dragon
    Scarlet-W

Wow - looks like everyone has just moved on? Am I the only one who cares? :-(
    Scarlet Dragon
    Scarlet-W

I care, but this is a design issue, there really isn't a feasible way to rectify the problem in current DSMC2 brains or sunsetted DSMC1 bodies.

As the DSMC1s fall out of warranty or have depreciated enough in value the owners can (and have) started doing their own repairs.

Jarred mentioned some time ago that the current design will hold until 2020, so there is hope that this issue will be addressed in the next generation of the camera but at the same time that means it is unlikely that there will be some sort of retrofit for existing units.

A retrofit would require a substantial investment in PCB redesign, component changes; a full sweep of FCC/UL/CE re-certifications, and you would still need to send the camera back to RED for them to swap everything out.

That doesn't make financial sense for RED or for owners. But that is what makes RED's Upgrade path such a remarkable program.
    - Scarlet 996 -

DSMC3 user replaceable screw in coin battery

Terry, have you noticed the writeup for replacing the battery?

DSMC2 is an improvement, it recharges...

SCARLET-W #004760

"Fixed RTC battery discharge rate when powered off" is in latest v7.0.2 firmware release note. I hope it fixes the problem, or at least improve the battery life?

Saw it. Not for the faint of heart. And not eager to incur much more in repair charges.

I am not suggesting a design change that is impossible. I am suggesting RED step up and replace batteries for a reasonable price. I have sent my DSMC back to RED to the tune of a few hundred dollars and it simply crapped out again.
    Scarlet Dragon
    Scarlet-W

I was out fomr Italy for two months and turned on my Helium today and time and date was resetted...so I suppose I need to keep the camera on all day! lol!!
    Btw as long this issue will not give us problem with the actual filming is fine with me, hopefully this issue will be fixed in the next generation...

Sad to see how red push forward so hard and while doing so leaving things like this without providing a fix for it. Some paid 80k usd for their DSMC2 brains and bought quite a few items to go with it. Timecode fail on reboot does not fit under such pricetag. One thinks that they atleast could provide a video how to swap the battery or what ever.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

It's wonderful when innovators do something impossible simply because they were too naive to know it couldn't be done. (Like when I started the world's first for-profit open source software company.)

It's a drag when innovators hide behind "WE DONT KNOW WHAT WE ARE DOING. LOL!" and fail to cleanup basic, fundamental errors.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"