Thread: How to change the internal battery RED EPIC X

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Lambo cost $300K+ and I am changing my Crankshaft and more (not jokin' It's good sportsmanship - lol) ...
    Rough videos.. http://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbfo...t-kwan-173377/

I say if you're going to take a chance on something, you just go full balls to the wall (again It's good sportsmanship).
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

I have a dead Scarlet Dragon - turned it on one morning and it was dead, Red gave a quote for repair that's higher than it's worth - So I'm in the middle of filming a teardown video of it right now.

Getting to the battery is pretty straightforward. However if this was a 'money making camera' that I needed for jobs, I might not pull it apart to replace the battery.
    C.S.C. Associate Member
    If I don't own it I rent it...

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Powell View Post
    I have a dead Scarlet Dragon - turned it on one morning and it was dead, Red gave a quote for repair that's higher than it's worth - So I'm in the middle of filming a teardown video of it right now.

Getting to the battery is pretty straightforward. However if this was a 'money making camera' that I needed for jobs, I might not pull it apart to replace the battery.
    Looking forward to seeing that video! Is the Dragon battery location similar / Identical ?
    Epic Dragon owner, the first upgraded camera in Switzerland :D

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post
    Looking forward to seeing that video! Is the Dragon battery location similar / Identical ?
    I have to imagine that the DSMC1 cameras: Epic-X, Epic-Dragon, Scarlet-X, Scarlet-Dragon all have the same battery location.

DSMC2 Cameras are probably in a different spot.
    C.S.C. Associate Member
    If I don't own it I rent it...

Eres un Crack Toni!, me funcionó perfecto en mi MX

Agregaría que al volver a colocar la placa, colocamos el conector del fan primero, a mi se me hizo mas facil

Saludos y Gracias!

P
    Kryptonita Films
    Epic-X-06680
    Caracas, Venezuela

Quote Originally Posted by Pichi Dominguez View Post
    Eres un Crack Toni!, me funcionó perfecto en mi MX

Agregaría que al volver a colocar la placa, colocamos el conector del fan primero, a mi se me hizo mas facil

Saludos y Gracias!

P

Pichi! Me alegro mucho de que te ha funcionado!! Espero que en un futuro RED facilite este tipo de “reparaciones” en modelos nuevos porque a pesar de todo yo sigo con RED y pienso seguir... 

Pd: para el ventilador, mejor quitarlo antes de empezar la “reparación” y asi ya no tenemos ese problema, al final cuando todo esta ok lo ponemos de nuevo, asi ademas aprovechamos para limpiarlo que no Le va mal!... jjj
    Camera, Movi, Drone, local producer service Ibiza.
    Studio, ciclorama, TupraStudio, film equipment service.
    http://www.tupra.es
    Instagram: @tuprastudio

The treatment for a chronic issue!

Several RED EPIC DRAGONS in 3 different production unites…

Fortunately, RED don’t go as far as TC Electronics with their magnificent M6000 reverb main U rack i.e. the original battery, which one has direct access, is soldered on the board and you (with the proper expertise and experience) have to remove 3 solder points.

Thank you very much indeed, Toni!

Richard Darlington

Quintessence Studios
    Senior Associate Producer and WW Supervisor

www.quintessencestudios.com

We've had a dead internal battery in our scarlet for over a year, and thanks to this thread... as of this morning... we don't anymore... :)

Long live the red forum.

Awhile ago I took the apple certification courses, paid the dues, and was allowed access to the archive of apple's online library of "how to fix this problem" .pdf's... These are super simple, but detailed instructions with photos for every step of how to disassemble any apple product, take out the bad part, and replace it with the new part... perhaps as the RedOne and DSMC cameras reach the end of serviceability by Red, someone could build an online archive of "how to fix this problem" .pdf's.. although... Now that I've had a look inside the camera, I'm not really sure that we (as a community) will be able to fix any issue besides replacing a battery...

I can't imagine that any of the parts or pcb boards I saw under the hood are easily obtainable on the aftermarket...
    William Howell
    Senior Creative and Multimedia Producer
    Florida Institute for Human and Machine Cognition
    www.ihmc.us
    https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/articl...ics-walk-again

well, I hope that this step by step in the dsmc1 come back to life to more than one "abandoned" camera.

It is clear that this "repair" was simple, and it is true that in models superior to MX already welded and it would be good if someone documented that repair ...
    It is true that little else we will be able to play inside the camera, but in the future, when there are brain discarded, it will surely be cheaper to repair with secondhand parts than to buy new equipment ...
    Camera, Movi, Drone, local producer service Ibiza.
    Studio, ciclorama, TupraStudio, film equipment service.
    http://www.tupra.es
    Instagram: @tuprastudio

Well, I finally did it. Thank you very much Toni!
    I speak Spanish and followed your instructions, I do not have advanced knowledge in electronics, I was just careful, it took me like 45 minutes and a little sweat.
    But I think there are some things we should take into account before doing the procedure: Some connectors are very thin and delicate, I think that's what you mean when you said "But I repeat, if you do not feel comfortable doing it, do not do it !!" we must be extremely careful when disconnecting and connecting the thin and fragile connectors because I think they can be easily damaged or make a bad connection. For someone without knowledge the disconnection and connection of the cables is not obvious.
    Especially the connector on the bottom of the board I think is the most difficult to connect and disconnect.
    Now I am happy having my Scarlet D with the correct date for a couple of years more!