Thread: How to change the internal battery RED EPIC X

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Send me a weapon and I do it!!! jjjjjjjjj
    Camera, Movi, Drone, local producer service Ibiza.
    Studio, ciclorama, TupraStudio, film equipment service.
    http://www.tupra.es
    Instagram: @tuprastudio

I'm curious to know how they feel the redusers who paid $500 for the replacement of a $2 battery with a process that takes 15 minutes.
    Last edited by Benjamin Cabral; 04-20-2018 at 06:56 AM.

Can someone translate this?

I have access to electronic techs.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Cabral View Post
    I'm curious to know how they feel the redusers who paid $500 for the replacement of a $2 battery with a process that takes 15 minutes.

Thats quite normal fee. Just handling someones something that cost 20k USD I would want twice that. How much was your oil change in your car last time?
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Thats quite normal fee. Just handling someones something that cost 20k USD I would want twice that. How much was your oil change in your car last time?
    Just got my truck done for $79 CAD.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

OK let's stir up some trouble....

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Tur View Post
    . ** ** ** This has been Modified for clarity ** ** **
    A couple of weeks ago I started to experience the problem of the realtime clock resetting the date and time in my Red MX.

I asked tech support about time and cost for the repair, and in the end I was told that I needed to send the unit to the UK for a simple change of an internal battery

Really???!!

I am from a small island in the Mediterranean, so it is very difficult for me to send the unit in for technical service. So, I started to investigate how to solve a seemingly simple problem and finally I decided to open the camera and look for the battery.

!!I GOT IT!!

1. The SSD Module must be removed. There are 6 screws.

2. Remove the metal plate covering the electronics. There are 16 screws.

3. With the electronic circuit board visible, you will see some text at the top that says RTC_BAT, marking the location of the battery on the underside of the board!

-Disconnect the connectors for the 2 yellow ribbon cables.

-Disconnect the two red/black wire connectors.

-Remove the 3 screws that secure the printed circuit board.

-Carefully lift the printed circuit board, you will see the front fan connector, which you need to unplug as well (remember to reconnect it later !!!)

-There is also a connector under the circuit board, where you can see a yellow ribbon cable with a QR code; you have to disconnect it when when you remove the circuit board (Remember to reconnect it later !!!)

4. Carefully remove the printed circuit board.

5. On the reverse side of the board you will see the CR2025 3V battery

6. Carefully remove the the old battery from the holder, making note of the positive/negative orientation.

7. Insert the new battery.

8. Reassemble everything following these steps in reverse order, carefully reconnecting the lower ribbon cable connector and the front fan connector on the underside of the board.

Do everything with great care, it worked for me because I'm not afraid to play with electronics (I'm a basic electronics technician). But if you are not familiar with dismantling devices, I do not recommend recommend you try this with the camera!!!

I hope you find the information useful and that you use it if you are capable, if not DO NOT DO IT.
    - Scarlet 996 -

Todd T, thanks for the translation ...

PD: My van costs more than 60k and I change the oil, wheels, etc ... jjjjj
    Last edited by Toni Tur; 04-20-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I understand that bringing the camera to Red is the best because they have a dust-free environment, highly trained technicians and the best tools. In addition to the logistics involved in receiving cameras and sending them back.
    However $500 makes me think that Red does not want to charge less than that to not receive hundreds of cameras that have this problem.
    And to me it seems expensive to pay $500 to change a simple $2 battery that lasts about two years.
    Why Red does not offer a DIY solution at your own risk like this?

yes, you are right, RED gives you a security and a guarantee that the "repair" will be satisfactory, (or not) ...
    But why they have hidden the battery and have not made it available to the user who has paid more than 20k, so he can change it himself ?? it's only a battery!!
    They only had to put a cover with a screw and the battery on the other side of the printed board.
    How difficult was it ??

Any old handycam has that same battery accessible to the end user from the beginning of the history of the cameras ...

I can not understand it, it can only be a business model, or send it to "repair" or update (buy) new RED.!!
    I prefer to "repair" mine for the moment, changing the sophisticated hidden battery ...
    Last edited by Toni Tur; 04-20-2018 at 11:25 AM.

I recognize that if I had an official RED service in Spain, sure i would surely have paid 500$ without thinking and believing that the internal battery is something special and complex to replace ...

But if I later learned that with 2$ and a little patience you can repair, I would have felt very very very deceived and a little stupid, for sure...
    Last edited by Toni Tur; 04-20-2018 at 11:26 AM.