Thread: DSMC 2 RT Motion Latitude problem

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 DSMC 2 RT Motion Latitude problem 
    I'm having some difficulty with my RT Motion Latitude. I'm trying to use EF lenses (internal motors.) I have a thumbwheel setup, but no wireless hand unit. I'm unable to control either the focus or the iris using the thumbwheel, but have no trouble doing so using Foolcontrol. I'd like to be able to check to see if it's as simple as a faulty cable. I'm in L.A. is there anyone who might be able to help me troubleshoot? Ablecine, a REDuser with a similar setup? (Or a hand controller?) Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Did it ever work at one time? I busted my AUX 1 Port and had to set AUX 2 to do my focus. I lost the trigger to record doing this.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Yes, the whole setup worked just fine when I got it. Not sure what changed, new firmware? I'll double-check tomorrow, but I want to say the Run-Stop capabilities work just fine, but I'm getting nothing from either aux port, as far as iris or focus. I have a shoot coming up quickly, any idea where I can find some support in L.A. Able maybe? Teradek?

Hey Scott. If you're able to get a hand controller to use, you can go through the menu and make sure it's set up properly. I hope it's not my fault, may have changed some of the settings you had while on that Cupanion shoot...

You most likely need a handunit to setup if something has changed, this is the only way I know how to do it
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

I learned a few days ago that you can change the settings on the latitude box by plugging it into you comp, opening the firmware updater software, and going to tools in the upper left. There you can change the preferences for what ports do what on the latitude without the mk3.1 controller. You might need to reset the correct port to focus. Also silly thing, but make sure autofocus is engaged on the lens. Also try to re-calibarte the lens in your red cam. Lastly sometimes it takes quite awhile for the latitude to turn to green and if your turning the focus thumbwheel while the rt-motion is trying to calibrate it stops it from turning to green...New firmware takes longer then the old one to go green.

Hope that helps,
    db.
    Daniel Kelly Brown
    www.danielkellybrown.com

also... make sure your communication settings on the camera serial control is set to the RED command protocol (RCP)... sometimes this gets reset when upgrading firmware, changing modes .. etc
    Epic-W #1081 "sasha"

Hi Daniel,

I can see an option to configure Smartknob in tools but not for the Latitude MDR. Am I missing something?

I'm trying to setup a Smartknob to control focus and a thumbwheel to control iris but they won't play nice together.

Cheers,

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Kelly Brown View Post
    I learned a few days ago that you can change the settings on the latitude box by plugging it into you comp, opening the firmware updater software, and going to tools in the upper left. There you can change the preferences for what ports do what on the latitude without the mk3.1 controller. You might need to reset the correct port to focus. Also silly thing, but make sure autofocus is engaged on the lens. Also try to re-calibarte the lens in your red cam. Lastly sometimes it takes quite awhile for the latitude to turn to green and if your turning the focus thumbwheel while the rt-motion is trying to calibrate it stops it from turning to green...New firmware takes longer then the old one to go green.

Hope that helps,
    db.

Firmware upgrade in Settings/Setup/Keys you need to enable sidehandle lense control (it gets deselected).. maybe go check that, I know you're talking about the thumbwheel, but try it with it selected.
    DSMC2 MONSTRO "GHOST"
    FAA LICENSED DRONE PILOT

Alex: I think I have had trouble with this since the Cupanion shoot, so currently I am assigning blame to you.
    Bob: There shouldn't be anything wrong with the ports. I have noticed an interesting quirk, in one Aux port Run/Stop works, in the other when I press the red button the lens re-configures. So I feel like this isn't a cable issue, it's probably some kind of firmware key-mapping kind of a thing.
    John: Thanks for the dummy-check, I've double checked that one a few times. But I wouldn't be getting Run/Stop functionality if that wasn't set.
    Daniel: I'll try plugging it in now, does some kind of interface pop-up?
    Patrick: I pulled up the "Keys" menu, but didn't see anywhere to select a sidehandle option. Could it be that it's not reading it? Or am I just confused?

Thanks for your help so far, at least I have a few ideas to try out.