Thread: Epic-W Gemini Low-Light Test Footage + R3D

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 80
  1. #51  
    Senior Member Anton Shavlik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hollywood
    Posts
    527
    Standard and lowlight are very similar in exposure. I think standard OLPF makes lowlight obsolete.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #52  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    413
    I did not notice - but was any of the cross camera exposure footage shot with Gemini not in 'LL' mode? So 800 would be way overexposed in LL mode, right? And no ND were used in any of the tests? The bulb was on a dimmer to show saturation of highlights?

    For Helium, I have noticed it gets dramatically cleaner when downsampled from 8k to 4k. To the point that you can't compare 8k to 5k and get same answer as 4k post of each.
    Does the demo compare 1:1 with same framing? If so what was downsample algorithm?

    Thanks for the timing of this test BTW.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #53  
    Senior Member Aaron Lochert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Finegan View Post
    I did not notice - but was any of the cross camera exposure footage shot with Gemini not in 'LL' mode? So 800 would be way overexposed in LL mode, right? And no ND were used in any of the tests? The bulb was on a dimmer to show saturation of highlights?

    For Helium, I have noticed it gets dramatically cleaner when downsampled from 8k to 4k. To the point that you can't compare 8k to 5k and get same answer as 4k post of each.
    Does the demo compare 1:1 with same framing? If so what was downsample algorithm?

    Thanks for the timing of this test BTW.
    He answered several of your questions already.

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Whittier View Post
    800 ISO in standard mode, 1600-12800 in LL mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Whittier View Post
    400% is relative to the UHD timeline. I did this to help ensure viewers can judge the noise pattern regardless of online compression. All the reds were shot with the standard OLPF. 1.35 was the FLUT value to align the chart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Whittier View Post
    SETUP
    Camera w/ 50mm Ultra Prime (T Stop matching Key Light) @ 56000k
    Key: Astra 1x1 w/ Snap Bag into a 4x4 Half soft Frost @ Minimal output - 5600K
    Room Fill: Skypanel bounced off ceiling @ 1% - 5600K
    Practical Bulb: 80% on Dimmer - 3200K
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #54  
    Senior Member AndreasOberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Leicestershire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton Shavlik View Post
    Standard and lowlight are very similar in exposure. I think standard OLPF makes lowlight obsolete.
    Is that true. I thought there would be more difference with the lowlight? Has anyone measure the difference in light?
    Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    Is that true. I thought there would be more difference with the lowlight? Has anyone measure the difference in light?
    Andreas

    I would have though the 'light' is the same but the noise characteristics and range would be different. So 800 at LL and Standard would look initially similar, except the LL would perhaps have less highlight. Just guessing based on what's been said though.

    It would be a good test

    cheers
    Paul
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    I would have though the 'light' is the same but the noise characteristics and range would be different. So 800 at LL and Standard would look initially similar, except the LL would perhaps have less highlight. Just guessing based on what's been said though.

    It would be a good test

    cheers
    Paul
    One of Phil Holland's tests, Low Light OLPF is better than Standard in the low end noise, I think it was less than half a stop though. Then you also lose some of the color / flare fixes that the Standard brings as well, so LL should only be really used for exactly that, low light. At ISO 800, I would NOT use Low Light. At ISO 6400.... Yes, Low Light.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvtC1Kje4EQ
    EDIT: Keep in mind that all of the ISOs in this video are the OLD cal.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #57  
    Senior Member luigivaltulini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Switzerland- LUGANO
    Posts
    2,507
    Grading Suite Davinci Resolve, Rental RED Digital camera.
    MONSTRO 8k CF #831 "BLACK PEARL" , EPIC-W GEMINI # "DAFNE".
    ARRI ALEXA EV , ALEXA MINI LF "ROZI"


    SITE
    www.cine5k.ch
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #58  
    Senior Member Nick Morrison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    8,862
    Thanks so much for all the hard work Luigi. These tests are really helpful.


    Quote Originally Posted by luigivaltulini View Post
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #59  
    Senior Member AndreasOberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Leicestershire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    I would have though the 'light' is the same but the noise characteristics and range would be different. So 800 at LL and Standard would look initially similar, except the LL would perhaps have less highlight.
    Hiya Paul. Just to be clear I talk about the Low light OLPF (and not the LL mode in the camera). As you probably know the OLPF blocks or reflects certain amount of wave lengths to various degrees so you do actually have less light hitting the sensor.

    /Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #60  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,816
    Alexa at 3200 iso is kind of shocking
    Reply With Quote  
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts