Thread: Looking for advice on home coloring-grading setup

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Looking for advice on home coloring-grading setup 
    I've been through the ringer lately trying to color a small personal project (not something I do often, color-grading I mean).

After completing grading the project in Premiere Pro CC on my 2017 5K iMac, I was shocked to find that Premiere Pro CC is FIXED in an sRGB color space (i.e. no color management options), while the 2017 iMac 5K retina display is FIXED in a P3 wide gamut color space. What this means of course is that I think I'm adjusting the image based on what's being displayed, only to find I've essentially made a weird-looking turd once it's exported and uploaded to Safari or Chrome (Firefox surprisingly does display the images correctly, but I won't muddy this post by going down that road).

I realize now that what is essentially happening is Premiere Pro CC is a outputting a certain color space (sRGB), while my 5K retina is unable to display in that same color space, giving the viewer a false representation of the image. The question I have is: What to do about it?!

Keeping budget in mind, I've considered two possibilities.

Do I:

- Source a 2nd desktop monitor that can display sRGB? Would love recommendations if so...
    - Switch to another color-grading software like DaVinci Resolve?

If anyone has run into this same problem, I'd love some advice. Cheers
    cinematographer/filmmaker
    nickjunkersfeld.com

Epic-M CF #00288

Resolve has been so much more effective with my configuration when working R3D's. Good luck!
    Money spent < Film earned

I love Resolve (mostly) but after several years I decided this year to bite the bullet and get a grading monitor, a FSI DM240. There are less expensive ones and more expensive ones. But the longer you wait to make the decision, the more you'll regret not having started that way from the beginning.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    I love Resolve (mostly) but after several years I decided this year to bite the bullet and get a grading monitor, a FSI DM240. There are less expensive ones and more expensive ones. But the longer you wait to make the decision, the more you'll regret not having started that way from the beginning.
    Thanks Michael. After speaking with FSI a bit, it's clear that something like the DM170 paired with a BMD Mini Monitor will suit my needs perfectly. I'm also in the market for a production monitor, so it's a win-win I guess :)
    nickjunkersfeld.com

Epic-M CF #00288

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Junkersfeld View Post
    I realize now that what is essentially happening is Premiere Pro CC is a outputting a certain color space (sRGB), while my 5K retina is unable to display in that same color space, giving the viewer a false representation of the image.
    That's not how it works.

Apple's P3 is a slightly modified version of the traditionally projected flavour, where Apple has aligned it slightly more with sRGB to optimise it for computers. Your P3 monitor covers 100% or sRGB so it will not limit what PPro outputs.

Apart from that, you have all the normal issues concerning proper calibration and whatnot.

Hi Andree, thanks for chiming in. What set me off on this confusing path to begin with was the drastic differences I encountered when viewing an export of the grade on VLC player vs QT player, and then later on Vimeo when viewed on Safari vs Chrome vs Firefox. See the attached screen shot to see what I mean.

- On the left side of the screen shot from top-to-bottom is Safari, Chrome and finally Firefox.

- On the right side of the screen shot is QT Player, with VLC below that.

- Both the Firefox and VLC images reflect my original color grade accurately... on my 5k iMac monitor.

As I began to research my problem, I discovered users complaining of Premiere Pro CC not offering color management options, particularly owners of 2017 5k iMacs. I've further come to understand that the 3 main browsers handle/decode colors differently, with Firefox being the only that can apparently display my color grade as I intended, from my desktop at least. However I would rather be color grading for Chrome and Safari, and perhaps Firefox would handle it well too?

Regardless, I'm finding my work is butchered, and stripped of most everything I did to it after exporting and viewing in QT player OR Chrome and Safari (via Vimeo). If you have further insight I would be most grateful :)

Disclaimer: I realize it sounds like I'm talking about two different issues here: PP CC color-grade monitoring and internet browser video decoding. However since they're ultimately linked when one's workflow includes web distribution, I'm discussing both in this confusing post...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Nick Junkersfeld; 03-29-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    nickjunkersfeld.com

Epic-M CF #00288