Thread: Monochrome / External trigger question

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Monochrome / External trigger question 
    Is there any information available as to the spectral response of the monochrome sensor?

Does the monochrome sensor have the same dynamic range as the Bayer-patterned one?

And finally - is it possible to do single exposure via an electronic trigger, and at what speed is that possible (i.e. how many single exposures are possible per second)?

Martin I think the single exposures are up to about 60 fps. I used to do it with the Mx and as I remember thats what was possible. Depending on what module you have on weapon you have a closure connector or a low voltage one. The Vlock module is closure. But the closure needs to happen close to camera, no long cables as it´s just a low current going trough. So if you want to trigger with longer cables you need a to make a short loop that you short electronically close to camera.

The DR of monochrome is bigger, or the usable DR is bigger. As it is less than a third of the noise in the blacks.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Thanks, Björn.

Great info on the external trigger. So something around 12 triggers per second would be feasible, as long as the closing circuit is nearby the camera. Great news.

DR is obviously larger, but I would like to see a spectral response/sensitivity chart for the monochrome sensor, and cannot find one online. Such as this:

Over at red.com I only found this generalized and idealized graph:

DXO has one for the Bayer patterned one: