Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Announcing Epic-W GEMINI 5K

Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
    But as of now, no speedmount really exists. I know ABT is working on one and you can preorder, but I haven't seen it in the wild. Duclos lenses as well? Would love to get an update on these before making my decision to swap out Helium for Gemini, as it really does give you the best of both worlds with Helium (better low light and wider FOV).

Why even by an EpicW anymore? It felt so forced at the final upgrade point. Finally resolution isnít the priority.
    http://jeffreyloewe.com

Producer and Cinematographer at Tesla Motors

Quote Originally Posted by Tehben Dean View Post
    Makes ya wonder if GEMINI is a cropped MONSTRO sensor...
    Interesting thought.... personally I love to see a 6k or 5k S35mm + sensor size kind of cut out of the Monstro Sensor..... But if its called GEMINI and at that price point, great.
    I think sooner or later it would be a logical step to offer a smaller sized MONSTRO in some way.

But I also think, options a great to have, but the Sensor lineup for some people ( specially for producers and rentals) is some how confusing already.

Hope to do a A/B test with MONSTRO and GEMINI soon, really like to see how GEMINI performing in normal conditions against MONSTRO, if there is a lot of MONSTRO DNA in the
    GEMINI Sensor it would be the perfect B-Cam to MONSTRO, what would be great at that price point....
    Last edited by Tobi Rupp; 04-03-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehben Dean View Post
    Makes ya wonder if GEMINI is a cropped MONSTRO sensor...
    It's not... Not even the same photosite size...
    Noah Yuan-Vogel | noahyv.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrin Sheldon View Post
    But as of now, no speedmount really exists. I know ABT is working on one and you can preorder, but I haven't seen it in the wild. Duclos lenses as well? Would love to get an update on these before making my decision to swap out Helium for Gemini, as it really does give you the best of both worlds with Helium (better low light and wider FOV).
    http://store-abt.de/product/speedmount-ef-dsmc2/

And Optitek can deliver on demand, they even made one for Hasselblad

The fact that a 6k cut of Monstro CAN happen is what scares me about dropping the money for the Gemini upgrade from Helium. I'm in this purely for the rental market, and I feel like 5k goes backwards a little bit, as 6k Dragons are renting more often than my 8k Helium right now... A new 6k sensor would be a killer for me, as a lot of productions think 8k is overkill, and harder to work with in post (and the crop factor on Epic-W for overcrank is a big deal too). At the same time, the Gemini is amazing though. The 5k would FLY in post, in comparison, but 6k seems to be the perfect middle ground right now.

Senior Member Brent G Miller Jr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth C Merrill View Post
    If I could trade my Epic-W + $5000 for an Alexa Mini, I would do it in a heartbeat! Not a fan of black magic cameras.

Honestly 5K is plenty for most of my needs. People's perspectives get a little out of wack around Reduser, but we all have to remind ourselves that Arri's LATEST $100K camera shoots a maximum of 4.4K. Like I said before, dynamic range, low light capability, and features like varispeed far outweigh resolution for me. I think I also represent a large portion of people who bought into the Epic-W.
    +1 from me. I went RED (with no regrets) because it was significantly more affordable than getting 2 Alexa Minis, but indeed DR, roll-off and clean low light is 100x more important than having flexibility from greater resolutions. Gemini w/ IPP2 feels so absolutely perfect. Starting to give Arri a run for their money. 5K gives us 20% wiggle room for 4K deliverable with decent resolvable resolution.
    Last edited by Brent G Miller Jr; 04-03-2018 at 02:32 PM.
    Brent Miller Jr.
    Executive Director, Ingenuity Films LLC
    www.IngenuityFilms.com

#1 Best Seller. Narrated by Kevin Sorbo:
    www.BeforeTheWrath.com

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabricio Morato View Post
    Anyone know how's the ISO calibration on Gemini? Like NEW ISO on Helium/Monstro or like Dragon? Tnks!
    Hi Fabricio,

You are correct. GEMINI uses the new ISO calibration by default like HELIUM and MONSTRO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Loewe View Post
    Why even by an EpicW anymore? It felt so forced at the final upgrade point. Finally resolution isn’t the priority.
    Still want a Gemini as a alternate body for special projects but gotta tell you the minute I put the Epic-W in 8K there is something about the resolution + image texture and feel that has never disappointed me. I can't explain it fully but it's a big difference at least in what I shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Loewe View Post
    Why even by an EpicW anymore? It felt so forced at the final upgrade point. Finally resolution isnít the priority.
    They're both Epic-W's. :)