Thread: Epic-W Sensor Calibration Fails - continuously

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Epic-W Sensor Calibration Fails - continuously 
    I came in to my studio this morning and when I went to load a mini-mag I noticed the camera body was warm to the touch, even though the camera had been shut down on Saturday after our shoot. So I thought that maybe my REDVOLT expander somehow caused the issue so I unplugged the power. After waiting about 15 minutes, I used a battery to power the camera and booted it up. The screen was flashing with a lot of static on it, so I tried doing a hard reboot. That didn't work. I then reset the camera to factory and that didn't work. So I wiped the camera and that also didn't work. I then downloaded the firmware and updated the firmware. This did not solve the problem but now I got a new error message telling me that the sensor data was outdated and that I needed to calibrate (black shade) the camera. I powered down, removed the lens, added the body cap, powered up the camera, the calibration warning came on again, I dismissed it and went to the menu system to calibrate. I selected auto calibration. After the first pass, I get a calibration failed message. So I started removing the modules one at a time and am now only using the VMout Expander and the Monitor, but I am still not able to successfully run the sensor calibration. I have already opened up a ticket with RED and submitted the log file. If anyone has any idea as to how or what to do to fix this I would be most appreciative of the advice. Thanks.
    Carlos Quintero
    Director & Cinematographer
    mediaonq.com
    701-729-7378
    RED WEAPON HELIUM 8K

RED will know best on this one.

My own habits relating to cameras, camera batteries and power supplies is never ever to leave them connected when not in use. I am an oldie who grew up with old folk who distrusted electricity with a passion. - They believed that electricity was out to kill you and was choosing its place and time to electrocute you or burn your house down on top of you.

So nothing ever remains plugged in to mains power. My paranoia extends to lithium batteries. - Now those things are pretty well sorted these days but I also do not give them a chance to burn the house down on top of me, lest they take it. The downside of my power supply paranoia is that some memory batteries in some devices may have a shorter life.

Hopefully the fix on your camera is not complicated and you are satisfied.

this will. be the sop moving forward...thanks
    Carlos Quintero
    mediaonq.com
    701-729-7378
    RED WEAPON HELIUM 8K

Subscribed to this post. Hope all works out Carlos. Please let us know what Red says.
    Red Monstro 8K VV | Red Gemini 5K | Kippertie Revolva

Quote Originally Posted by adam brennan View Post
    Subscribed to this post. Hope all works out Carlos. Please let us know what Red says.
    will do, thanks.
    Carlos Quintero
    mediaonq.com
    701-729-7378
    RED WEAPON HELIUM 8K

It sounds like the camera has to be sent in for further evaluation.
    Carlos Quintero
    mediaonq.com
    701-729-7378
    RED WEAPON HELIUM 8K

I bet you it's a sensor issue. It's good you have your warranty still. I hope it's a one off situation, but I research online and didn't see much talk of the issue described with the Epic W. I need to do some further testing of mine to see why the fans kick on med - high after a few minutes of use. Not sure if that's normal or not. Well I hope it's minor and a one off. Good to know your attachments are not the cause hopefully/
    Red Monstro 8K VV | Red Gemini 5K | Kippertie Revolva