Thread: Temperature Issues with Epic-W

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The fans are always spinning no matter how cold the ambient temperature is.. Maybe it could be made to intelligently stop spinning if it detects the airflow is just too cold for the sensor to reach higher set temps.
    SCARLET-W #004760

Quote Originally Posted by Audy Erel View Post
    The fans are always spinning no matter how cold the ambient temperature is.. Maybe it could be made to intelligently stop spinning if it detects the airflow is just too cold for the sensor to reach higher set temps.
    That would be great. The minimum fan speed is 20%, so even if I manually control the fan speed I have to tape my fans in order to reach my target temperature.
    It's just a little bit colder in Germany than in LA, RED!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bichler View Post
    That would be great. The minimum fan speed is 20%, so even if I manually control the fan speed I have to tape my fans in order to reach my target temperature.
    It's just a little bit colder in Germany than in LA, RED!
    Can you set a lower target temp? I have a calibration for 31C that is great for outdoor use in the winter time. I do have to cup the exhaust fans sometimes if it's REALLY cold but that lower calibration solves most issues.
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan_H_Banks View Post
    Can you set a lower target temp? I have a calibration for 31C that is great for outdoor use in the winter time. I do have to cup the exhaust fans sometimes if it's REALLY cold but that lower calibration solves most issues.
    My lowest target temperature is set to 30C and that’s the lowest one I could get. The funny part is, that the camera isn’t possible to cool down to 30C when in 10-15C environment and set to adaptive. It works when I manually control the fan..

So there must be any software related problem or just a bad temperature-sensor..

Besides that, I tried to do some manual calibrations, because auto calibration always results with green tint in my shadows, but I recognised that it’s only possible to have 8-10 calibration profiles.

I wanted to have the following ones:

For warm conditions:
    1/50 shutter @43C for 25fps
    1/100 shutter @43C for 25fps, 50fps
    1/150 shutter @43C for 50fps, 75fps
    1/200 shutter @43C for 50fps, 100fps
    1/240 shutter @43C for 120fps
    1/480 shutter @43C for 120fps, 240fps

For cold conditions:
    1/50 shutter @30C for 25fps
    1/100 shutter @30C for 25fps, 50fps
    1/150 shutter @30C for 50fps, 75fps
    1/200 shutter @30C for 50fps, 100fps
    1/240 shutter @30C for 120fps
    1/480 shutter @30C for 120fps, 240fps
    RED CF MONSTRO 8K VV
    Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85

Website // Facebook // Instagram

Daniel,

I dont think it is necessarily a software or sensor fault. As I understand it the chip is optimized to work best at a high temperature. There looks like this is a fairly wide window but under 30c it may not be possible to get sufficient performance?
    If you are working in extremely low temperatures a lot you could consider a camera barney or cover to insulate the camera. These were common once and it would be fairly easy to make one? Working in Antarctica we had insulated covers made for our Arri cameras that also offered good protection from knocks and scratches.
    Tom Gleeson

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll try reinstalling the latest firmware and redoing the blackshade to see if that helps things.