Thread: Dana Dolly vs Kessler Shuttle dolly

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thank you all for your recommendations.
    Initially i was planning to use cheap video tripods instead of slider stands (i thought the cheaper tripods with fluid head like davis&sanfors would do the job), but I will go with a sturdy stands. It absolutely makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Shannon View Post
    If you go Dana Dolly I would highly recommend the specially made single riser, double rocky, extra low combo stands by American Grip.

http://www.filmtools.com/cameradept/...nd-rs00dd.html

I have no affiliation with Filmtools or American Grip but nearly every time I try to setup a Dana Dolly on traditional Low Combo stands it's too tall and I end up calling for apple boxes.
    This right here! You can also get casters for these stands to make moving your setup around a breeze, though I haven't personally done that yet...

Hi Chris, I use matthews slider stand on each end.... which centre posts would you recommend as I'm definitely getting wobbles with 6+ foot? Cheers, Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McKechnie View Post
    Remember, any dolly will need support. While the dana dolly and kessler shuttle dolly are amazing systems, if you don't support them well with good stands, center posts, etc, it will be all for nothing and you'll get the dreaded wobble.

I put casters on both my low-boy combo stands (Norms) which makes it super easy to reset your position with the Dana system. Like others, I have had to go to apple boxes for low angles.

Cheers - #19

Having used the Dana dolly, a slightly more professional set up is the Modern version. It just runs on speed rail, and if you are on a show with a grip truck, they will have all kinds of lengths and everything plays nice with industry standard grip gear -

https://modernstudio.com/collections...2-end-brackets

Nick

Hi Brian, just came across this thread and am very interested to know a bit more about the Sk8plate, very little info on the actual website. Roughly what weight is the plate & wheels ? And is it as smooth as the Dana ?

7. #17 Dana Dolly a la cart 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    Having used the Dana dolly, a slightly more professional set up is the Modern version. It just runs on speed rail, and if you are on a show with a grip truck, they will have all kinds of lengths and everything plays nice with industry standard grip gear -

https://modernstudio.com/collections...2-end-brackets

Nick
    Nick, I own a Dana Dolly and use it and rent it out more than any other piece of gear. It is THE industry standard so what is different or more professional about the Modern one than than the Dana Dolly? I have no affiliation with Dana Dolly people. I set mine up on my custom cart using 7 foot aluminum speed rail cantilevered off both ends and thus can move it around easily. I don’t use the speedrail end holders that come with it cause I would not be able to roll it onto the cantilevered ends if I did. I have customized solution on my cart to hold the speed rail down and in place without interfering with the Dana Dolly wheels. Does anyone know if the center to center spacing of speed-rail is the same for all these Dana Dolly copycats?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post

Kessler uses hard wheels, which will have very little flex and are very rigid, but they are more prone to slightly visible rail imperfections.

Yes, very small diameter steel bearings that ride on exposed carbon fiber rails. I found out the hard way that ANY dings in these rails (you set a wrench on it, you touch it with anything metal...), no matter how small or invisible to the naked eye, will register in the frame. I loved my Cineslider until I realized this fatal flaw. I then tried the VariSlider which is very nice, but again, has its own inherent design related issues. Ultimately, I finally went to a Dana Dolly which has proven to be great in most respects.

The Dana Dolly is probably my favorite and most used piece of gear I’ve ever purchased. Nuff said.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)