Thread: Recommendations: 4k S35mm ENG Lens

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay A. Kelley View Post
    Ok so what you are telling me is that under normal lighting conditions this lens is just fine. You've saved me a crapload of money, and helped me quite a bit. If the UMP can handle it then the RED will have no problem. Does the power pin on the UMP a natural fit for the cabrio? Or is an adaptor needed?

Jay
    Yep fast enough, have you ever tried focussing during run and gun at F4, it's almost impossible.

The Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro PL Mount lets you use the world’s highest quality professional cinema lenses with your URSA Min Pro camera. The PL lens mount features contact pins for compatibility with Cooke’s i/Technology protocol so information such as lens make and model, serial number, iris setting, focus distance and zoom position can be saved as metadata and used in software like DaVinci Resolve. In addition, you can also power and control broadcast style cine-servo zoom lenses using the camera’s 12-pin Hirose connector.

One more thing: The 20-120 will hold it's apature thru the zoom correct? I assume both of them do this.

Jay
    http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/...120/index.html

Just buy the PL mount for UMP $ 245 https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...pecs/W-URSA-25

A review about this lens https://www.abelcine.com/articles/bl...abrio-20-120mm.

I haven't tested it myself but the image circle seems to be smaller than that of the 19-90 (31,5 mm).
    According to the Fujinon it covers Super 35 Film Format - 24.84 x 13.97mm but no word on the real image circle.

I always love the answers I get on here because of the experience on this board.
    I have abou $35k to spend I am looking for

An ENG lens which will cover a super 35mm chip.
    I'd like it to be no slower than 2.9 AND IT MUST HOLD IT'S APATURE THRU THE ENTIRE ZOOM
    I don't need a really long lens. 14mm - 80mm would be more than fine.
    EF mount is my favorite, but PL is also possible.

Any recommendations would be wonderful! Thanks!

Jay
    Ok, I know this was asked a year ago, but this is in my wheel house...

It gets knocked a lot for not being 'constant aperture', but the Canon 17-120 is the lens you want. It has the biggest zoom range and widest back-end of all the lenses in its "class". The Fuji 20-120 is nice, I've used it several times(I have a client with one), but there is a big difference between 17mm on the Canon and 19mm and 20mm on the Fuji's.

The constant aperture is sort of a mind-set/philosophical thing with the Canon, in my opinion. Look at it as you have a 17-90mm T2.95 lens(it holds T2.95 until then). After 91mm it starts to ramp to T3.9, so you have a second lens, a 91-120 T3.9, that you don't have to swap out, for when you want/need the extra reach(you said 80mm was enough).

Also, you can do the 17-120 in PL or EF or BOTH. I purchased mine in PL mount and had the AbelCine/IBE eUMS mount they designed specifically for it installed. That way I have the lens available in PL and EF with full data/power/communication available through both mounts. The IBE UMS "dumb" mounts also work with it, but of course you lose any data/power/communication ability. You can swap mounts in probably 45 seconds(4 captive screws that allow the removal on the inner PL ring and then the EF mount slides over and locks on with with 1/4-1/3 turn) and back-focus/proper flange depth is maintained.

And Canon just put a new rebate on the 17-120, which gets it down to around $22K, I believe.