Thread: Annihilation

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Annihilation 
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Just saw Annihilation and it's a true Sci-Fi masterpiece in my opinion. I also liked the look for the most part, but mostly because of the art direction. The cinematography was however a bit weird. Some shots are really good, but there are a lot of very blown out highlights and not in the nice roll-off kind-a-way. I'm curious to why it's been color graded like this? The highlights should have been an easy fix with some curving of the highlight curves and many shots are VFX shots so I don't understand why they chose this look for the highlights? With the anamorphic lenses and blown out look I understand them maybe want the old school look, but with these blown out digital highlights it just comes off as weird.

Thoughts?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Just saw Annihilation and it's a true Sci-Fi masterpiece in my opinion. I also liked the look for the most part, but mostly because of the art direction. The cinematography was however a bit weird. Some shots are really good, but there are a lot of very blown out highlights and not in the nice roll-off kind-a-way. I'm curious to why it's been color graded like this? The highlights should have been an easy fix with some curving of the highlight curves and many shots are VFX shots so I don't understand why they chose this look for the highlights? With the anamorphic lenses and blown out look I understand them maybe want the old school look, but with these blown out digital highlights it just comes off as weird.

Thoughts?
    Area X is pretty weird, so I kind of get the choices they made.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Area X is pretty weird, so I kind of get the choices they made.
    The choices I get, but the cinematography with blown out highlights are everywhere, even in act 1. And my point is that the blown out highlights aren't good looking. They could have blown them out but have a better roll-off, now it just looks clipped and ugly.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Thoughts?
    Did you watch it properly in Dolby Vision, or in a SDR version?

I saw over on LGG that other people were complaining about the SDR version, but the HDR is supposed to be good. I'm watching it tonight in Dolby Vision and I'll chime in later...

And my point is that the blown out highlights aren't good looking. They could have blown them out but have a better roll-off, now it just looks clipped and ugly.
    As mentioned in the movie, some parts of area x are very nice some are very ugly. It kind of fits the story.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw it. I can understand going for high contrast and the colorful blooming but the blown-out highlights that even were there before they enter Area X was kind of weird.

Not my taste, but I guess the crew liked this look for some reason.

Disclaimer: I have not see the movie. Opinion: if they had better treatment of the highlights, somebody on REDUSER.net would start a thread saying "Area-X is too nicely graded" and complain that cameras and grading systems are providing too much dynamic range compared to "true" sci-fi cameras like the DVX-100.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    Disclaimer: I have not see the movie. Opinion: if they had better treatment of the highlights, somebody on REDUSER.net would start a thread saying "Area-X is too nicely graded" and complain that cameras and grading systems are providing too much dynamic range compared to "true" sci-fi cameras like the DVX-100.
    Nahhh, the film was gorgeously done and the story was incredibly engaging throughout

You should see it in theaters if you get a chance (unlike our counterparts abroad that had it straight to Netflix!)

Christoffer - maybe the blown-out highlights were meant to add to the "unknowable" or "mysterious" aspects of The Shimmer?

Edit: I now recall Lena's opening classroom scene has the windows a bit blown out, but I can't say I felt overly distracted by that. Did you feel taken out of the scenes with blown highlights?
    Last edited by BrendanLeahy; 03-13-2018 at 11:44 AM.

You don't have to see something to believe in it, but you have to believe in something to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post

Christoffer - maybe the blown-out highlights were meant to add to the "unknowable" or "mysterious" aspects of The Shimmer?
    Yes, but that's not what I was criticising. You can have blown out highlights that doesn't look like it was over exposed and then tried to be saved in the grading. These aren't good highlights, they are digital looking like crap.

Look at these images.
    Attached Images
    Red Weapon 6K #00600