Thread: Best bang for you buck when it comes to lights

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Best bang for you buck when it comes to lights 
    Hey guys, just curious if anyone has any suggestions on inexpensive lighting? Typically I rent lights for jobs, but for passion projects, I would love to own a small kit.

Senior Member JeanChristophe Dupasquier's Avatar
    I bought 2 Aputure lights and love them! 120d and 300d. Good output, good CRI, lots of light modifiers, portable, battery powered if needed (12A V-Mount needed), cheap. Also I like how they support the comunity with their FB and Youtube channel and promote their products with other cinematographers on social media. Way to go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBUczNHXMik

300D is a beast, had one of the first ones on set and it was a bit greenish but i heard newer models have that fixed. just in case have some filters with you just in case.
    but otherwise powerful, has Bowens mount so you can get tons of modifiers for it, from beauty dish, 120 octas,.... and can be powered by 2 vlocks. its a winner for the price

Now that I own them, I can't imagine life without my Digital Sputnik DS1 kit..!
    Simran Dewan
    cinematographer | www.simrandewan.com
    CF Weapon Helium 8K Monochrome / Monstro 8K VV

CineGround Media Inc.
    www.cineground.com
    Cameras - Post-Production

Aputure have the best budget lights, in my opinion.

The light in my kit that is the most bang for the buck is the bi-color Kamerar Brightcast 1x1 LED.

I own two and I paid $380.00 USD for them, purchased direct from Kamerar's website.

I used one of them today, inside a large Chimera video light bank, to key an interview. The light, power cables, and power supply all fit in a molded case about the size of a laptop briefcase. The case comes with a shoulder strap. The panel is waterproof, bendable / moldable and has either a V-mount or gold-mount on the back of the light. Put one on an expanding painter's pole and it is a great lightweight unit for a Utility to carry around when shooting run & gun at an event.

Quote Originally Posted by Simran Dewan View Post
    Now that I own them, I can't imagine life without my Digital Sputnik DS1 kit..!
    This isn't cost effective. $2,500 for one head that isn't what I call "inexpensive lighting".
    James M. Holmes
    Filmmaker & Cinematographer
    Scarlet-W "Lola" #007540
    Instagram
    Vimeo
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by JeanChristophe Dupasquier View Post
    I bought 2 Aputure lights and love them! 120d and 300d. Good output, good CRI, lots of light modifiers, portable, battery powered if needed (12A V-Mount needed), cheap. Also I like how they support the comunity with their FB and Youtube channel and promote their products with other cinematographers on social media. Way to go!
    I really like these also and plan to get a kit of these also.
    James M. Holmes
    Filmmaker & Cinematographer
    Scarlet-W "Lola" #007540
    Instagram
    Vimeo
    Website

Filmmaker, Actor
    Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube
    Epic-X Dragon #08468 | Sigma Art 35/1.4, 50/1.4, Rokinon 85/1.4

Quote Originally Posted by John David Pope View Post
    The light in my kit that is the most bang for the buck is the bi-color Kamerar Brightcast 1x1 LED.

I own two and I paid $380.00 USD for them, purchased direct from Kamerar's website.

I used one of them today, inside a large Chimera video light bank, to key an interview. The light, power cables, and power supply all fit in a molded case about the size of a laptop briefcase. The case comes with a shoulder strap. The panel is waterproof, bendable / moldable and has either a V-mount or gold-mount on the back of the light. Put one on an expanding painter's pole and it is a great lightweight unit for a Utility to carry around when shooting run & gun at an event.

Are these the lights https://kamerar.com/collections/brig...ith-ac-adapter bc on the site they're $599, not $380.