Thread: Roger Deakins wins Oscar for Blade Runner 2049

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i haven't seen everything he's ever worked on but i would say that he seems to be especially gifted with visual language, obviously.

with or without nominations, awards, or any other thing, roger deakins is one of the greatest cinematographers of all time (in my humble opinion, which [again] should go without "saying"). lots of beautiful work.

i think his work speaks for itself and he's probably a really good guy who will continue to take on important and difficult projects with good teams.

i hope he will continue to be a good artistic influence and assist in some way with a potential continuation of the blade runner story, because it's a complicated work. personally, i think "2049" is better than the original (although i may not fully understand the significance of its release [born in 1989]) because it really seems to be about what it means to be human, to have feelings, to be alive, and attempting to understand what love truly is and is not. he's definitely not going to worship a little statue (unless he's being funny on purpose) or the people who nominated or awarded it, so if he wants to give a slice of recognition to everyone (with or without remembering everyone's names) who contributed towards the good work he's been able to accomplish then i'd say let roger accept the award however he sees fit without griping or complaining or backbiting or any other negative thing towards mostly good people and good works that some persons may or may not have been involved in.

just because we don't all today fully understand every implication or the mastery or near mastery of subjects, frames, narrative, analysis, and/or other artistic aspects of cinema doesn't mean such things won't be understood later, hopefully we can continue to work on preserving and protecting artistic works, intellectual property, and other information helpful for survival and aspects of life beyond "basic needs".
    Scarlet-X #970 "Silver"

It's nice to see Roger finally win one. I think to win with Bladerunner is perhaps even more historic given the positioning of the film as a sequel to cult classic. And this being perhaps Roger's most visually stunning piece to date. He definitely flexed some lighting muscle on this one!
    EPIC-W #8574 ROCKWELL
    Mac House Productions

Quote Originally Posted by paulherrin View Post
    ipersonally, i think "2049" is better than the original (although i may not fully understand the significance of its release [born in 1989]) because it really seems to be about what it means to be human, to have feelings, to be alive, and attempting to understand what love truly is and is not.
    I think the point of the movie was that the robots actually had deeper emotions and feelings than the humans, and the humans were actually very uncaring and cold. Plus the added question of whether Dekkard was himself a replicant, but wasn't aware of it.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

i think you're right on about the androids, they display a range of emotions in the film far beyond the other characters so as to actually be "more human", even the AI of joi, my favorite character. i didn't find the story to be intending disrespect towards women, on the whole i believe it just highlights the way men typically have been thinking about and treating them, and that's in order to help everyone better understand how to be better to women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYV5Uyk7Qr8
    Scarlet-X #970 "Silver"

I was so happy to see this. Roger is a wonderfully kind and creative man to work with.