Thread: Smallhd 702 Bright calibrating

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Smallhd 702 Bright calibrating 
    Hi,

I would like to know if you have an advice to calibrate the Smallhd 702 bright, it seems to have a green tint !

Do I have to buy the SmallHD Color Probe to have real colors or can I use a lut or an another trick?

Thanks

I used a regular xrite i1 display pro along with Resolve and displaycal to make a 33^ 3D LUT. I loaded the LUT up through the calibration page on the SmallHD and it worked great.

I'm mostly happy with the results for field use. I also believe this method gives a more accurate result than what's built in the smallHD OS. Although, I wish the backlight would be able to go dimmer.
    www.rogersingh.com
    cinematographer producer

Thanks Roger,

Do you have green tint with your unit too? Is it possible to share your 3D LUT?

Thanks

The default calibration lut on mine did look off, but i don't remember it being green. With the calibration disabled, it was very blue, probably around 9300K temperature.

I'm not sure if my calibration lut will help you, every panel really should be individually calibrated. But just send me an email and I'll send it to you to see if it helps. I prefer not to publically share it.
    www.rogersingh.com
    cinematographer producer

Hi Roger,

i'm trying ti calibrate my 702 with diplaycal and a spyder5. But i'm not sure if i'm doing it right.

Can you explain your steps, specially why you use resolve for that. Thanks in advance.

Marcus

they cant ever be calibrated correctly, ive had dit's try and try. they seem to have no standard, the best you can do is create a lut, but that doesnt seem to carry on from scene to scene.

They can be calibrated correctly but not by any method that seems correct. Yes I've tried the small hd probe as well, I own it. I've calibrated 2 that I own to match my flanders but it took hours of tweaking and they are different in the settings between the 2 702 monitors. But now they are accurate. So I'd say get yourself in front of a calibrated monitor then start turning knobs while viewing a variety of footage. Good luck
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Hi Marcus,

Resolve has a calibration process to create LUTs for grading monitors. Instead of connecting to a grading monitor, I connect it to the smallHD. It'll treat it exactly the same way.

Follow this method, and you need a Decklink/Mini Monitor to output to your SmallHD.

https://hub.displaycal.net/wiki/3d-l...w-for-resolve/

Once it's done, copy the LUT to your smallHD, and select the LUT in your calibration setting. It'll be more accurate than the SmallHD method because you'll be able to read a lot more patches than the built in SmallHD Calibrator would use. I've had good success doing this, to a point now that I use the 702 more often than my red pro monitor.
    www.rogersingh.com
    cinematographer producer

I'm attempting to do this myself and I have a couple questions:

1) Does anyone know what type of panel the 702 Bright uses, or what is the correct spectral offset setting in DisplayCal?

2) Does anyone know where I can create or download a null LUT that has no effect on the image? In order to have control over the RGB settings during DisplayCal calibration, you have to have a LUT enabled in the SmallHD settings. But you can't use the default SmallHD LUT while calibrating, because it ends up getting replaced and throws off the calibration.

Dunno why Small HD is so popular nowadays. It was always waaaaay off in terms of color, I've tried almost every series from the 2012, and they always seem to be yellowish to me. They freeze all the time you touch the power (battery or the dtap cable), buttons are crap on focus series, the highlights are impossible to guess because of the monitor clipping before the camera does. I do like the only thing in them - they are light. Otherwise, I always went the TVLOGIC 058 route, simply because it always works fine, and you literally can judge focus and image without a hassle on them.

My guess is calibrating them could help a little, but not fixing the whole issue. They just seem lacking enough color gamut.