Thread: Animating R3D settings

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Animating R3D settings 
    Somewhere in the world worshipping Denis Villeneuve
    I have been wanting to animate R3D settings in the middle of the shot when I'm grading. More specifically, I'm shooting a music video right now and I want to add tacky effects to match the tacky music. Is there any way to add keyframes to the kelvin (or any other Red Raw Setting) and animate the colours?

I have searched the web for this for a while now and I haven't found anyone seeking this type of effect.

Cheers,

Byron

Quote Originally Posted by Byron D'Arcy View Post
    I have been wanting to animate R3D settings in the middle of the shot when I'm grading. More specifically, I'm shooting a music video right now and I want to add tacky effects to match the tacky music. Is there any way to add keyframes to the kelvin (or any other Red Raw Setting) and animate the colours?

I have searched the web for this for a while now and I haven't found anyone seeking this type of effect.

Cheers,

Byron

Quick answer: You can't.

A solution: You can keyframe grades in many popular NLE and color grading programs. For example, you can keyframe a temperature adjustment in Resolve. It's a relatively simple one node, one adjustment grade.

R3D is designed to be manipulated stylistically "post-development", hence why the programs that read R3D data don't allow for keyframe adjustment.
    @ajt4k

ajt4k.com

REDucated June 2012

Scarlet-X #2098
    Raven #61

CR Entertainment Technician, Video
    DLR Technical Services
    TWDC, Inc.

Another work around is to have an A track and B track on top of each other. A as starting point R3D settings. B as Ending point R3D settings. Then you just ramp the opacity to suit your desired effect. This way you are tweaking real R3d color settings not NLE color settings.

Yes, this is a good workaround. I think, though, to pull this off you would have to duplicate the R3D file so they have separate RMD settings.
    David Callahan
    Resolute Visuals
    www.resolutevisuals.tv

Another approach is to write out REDLINE command line arguments and generate frames one at a time that way. REDLINE gives you the ability to script just about anything you can say about or do to a R3D file. (I say almost because RED has a few fixes coming for cases I reported.)
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by David Callahan View Post
    Yes, this is a good workaround. I think, though, to pull this off you would have to duplicate the R3D file so they have separate RMD settings.
    Depends on what NLE. Most does not actually change the r3d setting at file level but just in the internal reading so then you could duplicate the clip in your timeline and have one copy with one setting and another copy with another setting and cut, desolve mix in between.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Byron D'Arcy View Post
    I have been wanting to animate R3D settings in the middle of the shot when I'm grading.
    My solution would be to load the R3D into a color-correction program like Resolve and then keyframe the results as needed. You actually have far more range in the color correction tools outside the Raw panel than within the Raw panel.

In a pinch, you could theoretically create two shots, one with one Raw setting and one with a radically-different Raw setting, place them on adjacent timelines, and then do a transition between the two. This actually can work for certain very specialized situations, particularly when you can use masks to punch through just a very specific area (like the sky or something like that).

Don't limit yourself into believing that RedCine-X Pro is the only tool or the best tool to use for a situation like this.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer