Thread: Any Truth To This: Red + Foxconn = Low Cost Professional Cameras For The Masses ??

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Any Truth To This: Red + Foxconn = Low Cost Professional Cameras For The Masses ?? 
    Maybe .... at least according to this article published today in "Nikkei Asian Review:"

"We will make cameras that will shoot professional-quality films in 8K resolution but at only a third of current prices and a third of current camera sizes," Foxconn Chairman Terry Gou told reporters in Taipei following the company's annual employee party before the Chinese New Year. 8K ultra-high definition resolution has become the benchmark standard for digital television and cinematography.

Gou said he is in talks with RED Digital Cinema, whose cameras are used in the filming of such hit films and TV shows as Transformers and Netflix's House of Cards, to form a joint venture or partnership to produce affordable cameras. A RED's 8K camera now sells for around $30,000."

Hmmmm .... we shall see.

See:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Markets/Nikk...i-Asian-Review

Hmmm... I guess I am always will to take someone at their word until I find evidence they aren't being truthful. In this case, I can't imagine this guy would make a public statement about talking with RED if it were an outright lie; he'd have to know he'd be found out. We'll see... sounds intriguing.
    Scarlet Dragon
    Scarlet-W

It's probably hydrogen one I'm betting
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

I think it was just a reference to HYDROGEN, but given that Mr. J-RED just got back from visiting Shenzen, where FOXCONNs main manufacturing facilities are located for manufacturing of phones and cameras, anything is possible.

Jarred did just have a whirlwind trip in China, so I’m guessing this is a real thing. Hoping for a c100 type body and weight for handheld and gimbal. With XLR inputs.
    http://www.radiumcamera.com
    http://www.cinetechshow.com

SILICON VALLEY Rental house
    Atlas Orion Anamorphic lenses PL Mount 40, 65,100
    Red Epic-W 8k Helium - Red Epic-x Dragon 6K - Scarlet-W 5K - Ursa Mini Pro - FS7 - A7S - Alexa Mini
    Zeiss CP.2 Kit- GL Optics 18-35mm T2 300 degree version - Cooke 18-100 T3

Man, it sure is a whole lot cheaper to use some of that near slave labor aint it? Can I get a cheap refurb model deal if a worker has it in their lab coat while they jump from the roof?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sepaniak View Post
    Maybe .... at least according to this article published today in "Nikkei Asian Review:"

"We will make cameras that will shoot professional-quality films in 8K resolution but at only a third of current prices and a third of current camera sizes," Foxconn Chairman Terry Gou told reporters in Taipei following the company's annual employee party before the Chinese New Year. 8K ultra-high definition resolution has become the benchmark standard for digital television and cinematography.

Gou said he is in talks with RED Digital Cinema, whose cameras are used in the filming of such hit films and TV shows as Transformers and Netflix's House of Cards, to form a joint venture or partnership to produce affordable cameras. A RED's 8K camera now sells for around $30,000."

Hmmmm .... we shall see.

See:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Markets/Nikk...i-Asian-Review

I think a lot of this comes about as Foxconn acquired Sharp's semiconductor plant ( Taiwan) in 2016, said plant also happens to manufacture sensors etc.

Foxconn is planning pretty massive expansions globally and the deal with the Wisconsin Governor to build a $10 B (Billion with a B) liquid crystal display panel factory in the Midwest is pretty eerie to say the least. I always joked that the money we borrow from China would only be repaid if we let China have Wisconson lol.

I think with HYDROGEN and LEIA tech there is a Chinese component to some of the tech/IP and other elements. It used to be we all had to be a bit defensive against Chinese manufacturing practices and now we have to be more friendly yet circumspect with particular Chinese partnerships now.

Like the article is saying that Foxconn is trying to lessen it's reliance on Apple as the profit margins are razor thin, so seeks to get its fingers into more diverse and profitable partnerships/sectors of various markets all around the world. Now Foxconn seeks to get into "Cloud computing" and AI and other buzzwords.

So $30K camera? That's the Epic W with Helium 8k sensor. Not a $50K Weapon nor a $80K Weapon Monstro VV.

But on the other hand maybe Foxconn/Acquired Sharp semiconductor factory will also roll out Helium module for HYDROGEN/H1.

To me this all points to HYDROGEN being very very big indeed + possible expansion of LEIA tech.

The other thing is that RED (I believe) is going to continue its relentless march towards modularity and obsolescence obsolete principal. Jarred Land had mentioned in various posts a number of times about the possibility of future systems where the sensor itself is a separate thin module block that you could slip into your camera and upgrade yourself or switch out between thin sensor cartridges or plates for different sensors (perhaps of different formats or spectral capability (B+W? )or frame rates etc.)

If growth and competitive capabilities are planned for RED this would all seem pretty logical I think.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________

@Bill S (Thanks for digging that up).
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

A 25 year long equipment list / toy box of stuff that's waaaaaaay too long and too bizarre and obscure to mention (even here).

~ But the HYDROGENS I have kicking about the place could be "Handy" for a bit of reduced price KOMODO "Action" ;-)

-Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

It looks like China is winning.....
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Or Jim Jannard sells RED digital cinema camera company to Foxconn?