Thread: Pegasus3 R8 setup tips / expected performance

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Had some time to test.

Jeff you were 100% correct - In Resolve it's crunching through 4K 10bit DPXs (4096x3112) like butter but R3Ds at "Full Res" are playing at 17fps with or without a bunch of effects / nodes.

The strange thing is that playback in "Half Res Premium" and "Half Res Good" yield the same exact result as "Full Res" with 17fps (with or without a bunch of effects / nodes.)

Going to 1/4th Resolution fixes that and I'm ok with that but seems like a software issue..

Very impressed by this combo of Pegasus3 R8 + iMac Pro. Can't believe I'm playing back my DPXs like this - I'm used to less than 1fps with 4k DPXs :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    Speed of your Pegasus3 will depend a lot on which HDDs are installed and your RAID configuration. The 8-bay unit should be able to get you >1600MB/s read and write under most conditions. I run RAID-6 on my Pegasus units. Itís a tad more robust and does impact speed just a bit, but Iíve had better luck with it.

The drive is not going to be a bottleneck for your R3Ds. In fact, you will be able to play the 4K DPX stream off of it just fine too as thatís about 1250MB/s and quite possibly write them to disk that fast as well.

RR-X can speed things up a lot, but it can also be a hindrance. It does not support several processing features that have come along since its release and itís already obsolete in the face of multiple GPUs and some of the larger dual Xeon configurations out there. The iMac Pro sits in a spot where the RR-X will probably still be useful for a lot of the decode processing/ playback in editing and such, but you should not feel that itís necessary. I donít know if youíll be using a RR-X or not, thatís just my current thoughts on it, since Michael brought it up. And yes, seems there are some compatibility issues at the moment.

Back to the RAID config. A 128KB stripe size might work well for you. It really does not matter all that much with the current hardware. In years past, we could see a noticeable speed boost for large file I/O by using a larger stripe size. With the current buffering on the drives and performance of the host controllers it seems to interleave and push the data about the same either way. Larger stripe sizes can, in theory, make indexing and access/ reads of some types of data a lot faster, but you also end up reading and caching larger chunks. I would advise against going to 256KB or larger unless you *only* store large files like DPX and R3D, etc... As you can see a detrimental effect of 256KB+ when youíre accessing thousands of config files, small PDFs and images.

Iíve seen some reports of slow performance on some of these RAIDs. Of the ones Iíve helped assist with, it seems theyíre all too often chaining too many TB devices together or intermixing TB generations on the device chain. Or they have other issues with their RAID config or even the RAID operating int a failed state where performance is cut way down. Generally speaking, these RAIDs are pretty fast. Or as fast as youíre going to get from a handful of 3.5Ē HDDs.
    Hey Jeff!
    Do you have any experience with the newer pegasus32 r8 units? I am seriously considering it, and I dont know anyone personally who uses it. Or is there something better around a similar price point that you would recommend?

Have not bought any Pegasus units recently. I do own one Pegasus3 R8 that I bought when they first came out a few years ago. Speeds were comparable to the Pegasus2 because HDDs only go so fast. I have 4TB HDDs in it -- I think it shipped with Toshiba HDDs and that's what it still runs. The last Thunderbolt RAID purchase I've made was a 12-bay Areca. I like it and have 6TB IronWolf drives in it. These RAIDs, especially when paired with newer HDDs with large caches like to favor write times in the benchmarks. IIRC, I'm running RAID-60 on that 12-bay unit and I think it gives me 1600~1700MB/s all around.

@Robino_J -- the R3D performance seems a bit slow, but I've encountered that before. It's not an issue with your storage speed, it's software all the way and CPU limitations. What iMac configuration do you have?.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    Have not bought any Pegasus units recently. I do own one Pegasus3 R8 that I bought when they first came out a few years ago. Speeds were comparable to the Pegasus2 because HDDs only go so fast. I have 4TB HDDs in it -- I think it shipped with Toshiba HDDs and that's what it still runs. The last Thunderbolt RAID purchase I've made was a 12-bay Areca. I like it and have 6TB IronWolf drives in it. These RAIDs, especially when paired with newer HDDs with large caches like to favor write times in the benchmarks. IIRC, I'm running RAID-60 on that 12-bay unit and I think it gives me 1600~1700MB/s all around.

@Robino_J -- the R3D performance seems a bit slow, but I've encountered that before. It's not an issue with your storage speed, it's software all the way and CPU limitations. What iMac configuration do you have?.
    Oh that's an old post, I'm now on the new mac pro (2019) - when i wrote the post I was on iMac Pro 10Cores 64GB.

R3D playback on my new mac pro is ok, I expected more. (16cores,96gb, Pro Vega II) - Waiting patiently for BMD to add the new SDK to Resolve and see how much it improves.

Yeah, I suppose it is old... I thought it was just a couple weeks and didn't notice it was more like 2 years. Ooops... ;) Probably because this thread got resurrected from the dead.

Anyway, also want to add that Pegasus2 RAIDs are NOT playing nicely with macOS Catalina 10.15. Not sure about Pegasus3 RAIDs. I hear they work better with Catalina, but still have some issues with disconnects or the Promise utility causing spontaneous crash/reboots. I'm sure Promise will get it sorted, but not sure what's taking so long. Uninstalling the Promise Utility software seems to have alleviated most of the issues with the Pegasus2 on my iMac Pro for my Catalina boot partition.

The Areca RAIDs are not having such issues.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

hey no worries - thx for your reply - I experienced many random reboots on Catalina, good to know it's the pegasus. Haven't got any reboots since updating to last version 10.15.3