Thread: Thoughts on Alexa classic..

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    Personal opinion : unless you have rental clients knocking down the door for an Amira - don't even mess with it. The mini is a better investment than the Amira (even if it was twice the price - which it isn't) . The Classic will rent out less often than a Mini, but I bet very similar rental pace/rate to an Amira. Classic with licenses will give you MORE feature set than an Amira (except for built in ND).
    I think Arri admitted recently that they had sold more Alexa Mini's than all their previous models combined.

As far as the 2K/4K debate: bear in mind that the current Star Wars: The Force Awakens had 2000 VFX shots all finished in 2K and uprezzed to 4K. Just sayin'.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

I think it' s pretty safe to assume that a new Alexa will have a much lighter more ergonomic body in keeping with the spirit of the mini, but with the additional benefits of their more classic cameras. Once that happens, the Classic's will look old fashioned and out of date, sticking out like a sore thumb. So a lot depends on how much your clients care about the "fashionable" and prestigious aspect of the production. I am pretty sure this is why the classic cameras are being dumped on the market, because the reality is that most usage out there is still 1080p.

I am a bottom feeder, because I care more about picture image than my personal image and mostly do fiction, not advertising, etc. I often buy equipment that has already been out on the market for several years at decent prices. However, I am fully aware that the peripheral need for better heavy duty support to deal with the classic's weight and ergonomics is an important consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    I think Arri admitted recently that they had sold more Alexa Mini's than all their previous models combined.

As far as the 2K/4K debate: bear in mind that the current Star Wars: The Force Awakens had 2000 VFX shots all finished in 2K and uprezzed to 4K. Just sayin'.
    Any idea what algorithm they use? I tried Bicubic, Lanczos3 and super resolution but wasn't impressed by the results (UHD 4:4:4 > FHD 4:4:4 > UHD 4:4:4)

My feelings on it:
    For a 1080p (or 2.8k RAW external recorder) for 10k +recorder, when the Blackmagic 2.5k is only $500-1500 on Ebay. I don't think the Alexa Classic is worth 10x the price, when you can rig up the Blackmagic for way less than the Alexa Classic. (Purely talking Classic Alexa, and not the newer models)

The 2.5k Blackmagic has RAW, ProRes, and pretty good color and dynamic range, that I thought about going back to it, for how cheap they are now. Neither option is great for future proofing, but for Internet work, I doubt anyone could tell the difference.

Just Shot on a Classic last month. Great image, love the panel on the side.

One thing, it's way huge compared to Red. When you're used to small DSMC2 form factor, it's quite tough to go back to a massive camera which is more cost to operate - more expensive Tripods, fluid heads, more crew support, etc....
    -----------
    DP and sometimes Director
    Reel: http://builtbyugene.com/html_pages/h...iveaction.html
    Entire Portfolio: http://builtbyugene.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post

Possibly so, but I doubt they recorded 2k on the cameras.

Arri Alexa (aerial plates)
    IMAX MKIII, Hasselblad Lenses
    IMAX MSM 9802, Hasselblad Lenses
    Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL2, Panavision Primo, Retro C-, E-Series, ATZ and AWZ2 Lenses

It pretty big difference to work with IMAX material and scale that down to 2k do the VFX and then upres. Compared to record 10bit Clog prores 2k and then upres.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Speak to Arri. I believe you can still get an extended warranty on an old Classic that covers you for board and sensor failures. For the price it can't be beat especially when you consider adding in a 7Q for 2.8K arriraw recording. As others have noted I wouldn't buy into an Amira.
    Adrian Jebef
    DIT
    www.jebefcorp.com

i should add.. the alexa would really be for mainstream rentals.. more or less for my own projects i am producing/shooting or low budget opportunities. the value (image/cost) is pretty damn amazing.. these things dropped in value like a rock since the mini came out.. my big hold back is the weight.. i think at minimum i would need a 2060.. and a package like that alone would set me back 8k (with sticks)
    Zakaree Sandberg
    Zakaree@Gmail.com
    Cinematographer / Local 600 DIT
    RED MX
    Red Epic
    Red Scarlet W

The play would be to get a classic set up and rent it super cheap. I mean if you can get a camera for 10k, a justifiable rental rate might be 350-400.
    Its the same Arri look at possibly much lower rate. Go for the volume, and the ROI should be there.
    A 2060 should hold its value, so its not like you have to get that money back in 6 months.
    Beware when stuff goes down its very expensive to repair, that's the scariest aspect of these getting very old Arri's.
    Camera Rentals
    Washington DC, Baltimore, Mid Atlantic region
    Monsrto VV, Helium, Scarlet, Helium Monochrome, Arri Mini, Amira and Classic, Sony Venice, Varicam LT
    Master Prime's, Summicron's, Cooke S4i, TLS Panchros, Ultra's, Sigma's, TLS Leica R's, Super Speeds
    Anamorphics- Zeiss Master, Cooke, Kowa Evolution, Atlas Orion A + B sets
    www.Dc-camera.com
    Like our Facebook and follow Instagram pages for updates

Isn't an Alexa Classic only ~3lbs heavier than an R1mx (which you have)? That shouldn't be too much of a leap. Plus there has to be some decently affordable support that can handle 25-30lbs... I mean the 509HD (on paper) is supposed to counterbalance 29lbs (not that it'd be rental-friendly, but you could buy seven replacements before you got to 2060 territory).

When is Arri rumoured to be announcing/releasing the successor? NAB? If so, that'd be a pretty tight window to get your money back via rentals... I do think that as soon as the "Alexa2" comes out, the rental market will likely dip, obviously starting with the Classic... It won't tank as bad as non-bleeding-edge REDs do, but it'll definitely taper off as Alexa2 units get into the hands of shops and owner-ops. The (valid) argument with a Classic is that it's technically the same image that is in the XT, Mini, Amira, even Alexa65, but limited to s35 & 3kHD and just a heavier/bigger camera. If Alexa2 offers a noticeably better image out of the gate (FF35 sensor in a mini-esque body with 20stops of usable DR, 8k res, noiseless to ISO6400, etc.), that point (matching the rest of the Alexa family) no longer holds.